VMware Cloud Community
Guid0
Contributor
Contributor

Using a client NIC inside a vm on esxi

Hello, I am trying to use a client NIC to interact with the esxi. My setup is: esxi server connected to router and has been added to domain. The client pc's are allso connected to the router and to the domain. The esxi has been given a static ip of 192.168.1.120, and uses DHCP from domain.

I can ping from the vm's on the esxi to client pc and visa versa. I use vSphere Client on client pc to connect to the esxi.

The client pc's use 2 NIC's. 1 is connected to router, the other NIC is connected to specific hardware that has to be able to interact with vm's on the esxi.

Before I used VMware Workstation on client pc's, and the vm's were able to interact with the desired NIC's. But now I have decided to go use my vm's on the esxi server, only I can't seem to add a client NIC to the esxi.

Is there a way to do this or any alternatives? I have tried to bridge the 2 NIC's on the client pc but that didn't work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards, Guido Flutsch

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Styvboard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What do you mean by adding client nic to esxi? A physical NIC is added to the virtual switch on configuration tab, networking, properties for the switch. Adding a new network is done on the same view by Add networking...

0 Kudos
Guid0
Contributor
Contributor

I want to be able to connect a certain piece of hardware to the client pc's NIC. And have that NIC interact with a VM on the esxi. (I am using 2 physical NIC's on the client pc. 1 connects to router, other connects to hardware.)

VM > esxi > router > client pc NIC.

client pc NIC > router > esxi > VM.

0 Kudos