VMware Cloud Community
450F
Contributor
Contributor

Using a USB pin drive to boot ESXi? Use a SLC rated USB/Flash.

Are you using a USB or SD media as a boot device for ESXi?  This is a great solution, but there are a few things that you may not be aware of.

We use this configuration on all our ESXi hosts. All was working well for about 1 year, until I saw the following error on one of our VMWare hosts:

"Lost connectivity to the device mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0 backing the boot filesystem /vmfs/devices/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0. As a result, host configuration changes will not be saved to persistent storage."

pastedImage_0.png

As it turns out my trusty 2GB usb pin drive that I thought was reliable, turns out it really is not reliable because there are differences in Flash Chip types. ESXi will write to the USB

There are 3 different types of flash chip types: 1) TLC 2) MLC 3) SLC

For a USB boot device (or SD boot device) you want to use SLC, Single Layer Cell. SLC is the most durable, reliable and is the highest performance out of the 3 types.

SLC- Single Layer Cell

•    High performance

•    Lower power consumption

•    Faster write speeds

•    100,000 program/erase cycles per cell

•    Higher cost

•    A good fit for industrial grade devices, embedded systems, critical applications.

MLC- Multi Layer Cell

•    Lower endurance limit than SLC

•    10,000 program/erase cycles per cell

•    Lower cost

•    A good fit for consumer products. Not suggested for applications which require frequent update of data.

TLC- Three Layer Cell

•    Higher density

•    Lower endurance limit than MLC and SLC

•    TLC has slower read and write speeds than conventional MLC

•    5,000 program/erase cycles per cell

•    Best price point

•    A good fit for low-end basic products. Not suggested for critical or important applications at this time which require frequent updating of data.

(From Centon Electronics website)

Full article: Chiptype - Centon Electronics, Inc.

Here are a couple of guidelines for using USB to boot ESXi:

• Buy SLC media.
  • Make sure you have a couple of copies of you ESXi USB's available. (especially if you are using the cheap TLC variety)
  • Create a persistent scratch area on a SAN LUN (if not changed you will loose logs if you need reboot the host) KB1033696
  • If your using a USB to boot ESXi, never remove the boot USB from a running ESXi server. (Yes really - I found a few articles about how to resolve this interestingly enough - see: ESXi and USB failure? | Adventures in a Virtual World )

Good luck!

KB articles regarding USB/flash:

Installing ESXi 5.x on a supported USB flash drive or SD flash card (2004784)

Lost or degraded connectivity to storage device (1009553)

0 Kudos
0 Replies