VMware Cloud Community
BobNiaan
Contributor
Contributor

Using Wireless Adapter on ESXi

I basically need to download certain application using wget or apt-get however the VM (centOS) inside my ESXi 6.5 doesn't have internet connection, and to set up pfSense is too complex for me. So I tried plugging in a TP-Link Wireless Adapter on the ESXi 6.5 Host (Acer laptop), edit the settings of my VM:

pastedImage_0.png

However, when I launch the VM, it doesn't work/not connected. Do I need to download drivers? Is there any workaround?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Probably the easiest solution: download those files somewhere else and write those files into an ISO. Upload ISO to datastore and connect to the CentOS VM.
Other version: do not connect the USB-adapter to the ESXI but connect it directly to the VM.

0 Kudos
BobNiaan
Contributor
Contributor

So the apps I need is to set up a Web Server, thus I downloaded XAMPP on my own laptop, put it in my thumbdrive and transfer it to my VM. However, even though it successfully download and showing that both MySQL and Apache is running, when i tried to 'systemctl enable mysql', it states 'Access denied' and if i tried to 'systemctl start mysql', it states that 'mysql.service is not found'.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That sounds to me like a installation problem when you installed XAMPP - not like a network problem.
Are you sure the XAMPP setup worked ?

0 Kudos
RoamScott
Contributor
Contributor

do not connect the USB-adapter to the ESXI but connect it directly to the VM.

How, exactly, does one accomplish this?

0 Kudos