VMware Cloud Community
Ron201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using VMware across two sites

I have VMware esxi 4.1 cluster installed and running in 1 site with 2 physical hosts. They share two SANs. One SAN is directly attached and the other iscsc over ethernet.

We are about to add a second site with a high speed link between them. It will just be an extention of our private network. The plan is to take one of the hosts to the second site and still run as one cluster. Each site will have its own sub-net.

Can you see any possible problems with this set-up?

1. vCenter controlling the 2 hosts. Do / should I have a second linked vCenter at the remote site?
    2. SAN will be shared via iscs over ethernet. What are the implications of this? Is there a better way at a resonible price...?
    3. Virus protection using Trendmicro Deep Security - will it run in this type of structure?

I am also asking these questions on the vendors but would like to hear from the technicains that are in th ereal world and may have already done something like this. Any knowledge / information you can provide me with will be appreciated.

PS. I do plan to upgrade to VMware 5.5 . Is it best to do this first?

Thanks

Ron

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Will a linked VC be okay at the seconded site?

Yes sir. It should be able to operate both the VCs. However, from the long white cloud:

A single vShield Manager can’t be used to protect multiple vCenters even in linked mode. If you have more than one vCenter you need to have a vShield Manager for each vCenter that will have protected VM’s.

» vShield App Design for the Enterprise Long White Virtual Clouds

Hope it helps in your planning.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. vCenter controlling the 2 hosts. Do / should I have a second linked vCenter at the remote site?
    Not particularly required, if you don't want the second host to be managed by a vCenter. If you wish to have the second host to be managed by a VC, then yes, you need to have a linked VC to manage the two hosts at two different sites.

SAN will be shared via iscs over ethernet. What are the implications of this? Is there a better way at a resonible price...?

You can always take a look at vCloud and integrating with vCD

Virus protection using Trendmicro Deep Security - will it run in this type of structure?

Yes. DSP and other vShield environment depend upon the VC to manage the ports, so it would go without saying that you need to have a VC on second site itself. However, with vCD, your management of vShield products will be much enhanced or easy.

PS. I do plan to upgrade to VMware 5.5 . Is it best to do this first?

Based on the issues I have faced and the threads I have seen, I would advise to wait for either the first update release or the first patch on ESXi 5.5

Ron201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virus protection using Trendmicro Deep Security - will it run in this type of structure?

Yes. DSP and other vShield environment depend upon the VC to manage the ports, so it would go without saying that you need to have a VC on second site itself. However, with vCD, your management of vShield products will be much enhanced or easy.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes sir. It should be able to operate both the VCs. However, from the long white cloud:

A single vShield Manager can’t be used to protect multiple vCenters even in linked mode. If you have more than one vCenter you need to have a vShield Manager for each vCenter that will have protected VM’s.

» vShield App Design for the Enterprise Long White Virtual Clouds

Hope it helps in your planning.

0 Kudos