VMware Cloud Community
LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using MIcroSD on HP Gen9 Server and ESXi 5.5

Thought I'd post this since I couldn't find the information anywhere and i spent some time trying to figure it out.

When installing ESXi 5.5 on an HP BL460C Gen9 server the MicroSD card could not be detected and was not listed as an installation target.

I had to disable USB3 in the Gen9 UEFI. After doing this it started showing up as an available install target.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't really have anything definitive that led me to believe it was USB3. I was searching for HP and MicroSD problems. Most of which indicated to update to the latest ILO firmware (which I was already on) and then I found some other vague posts about boot order and USB3. So I tried both of those and narrowed it down to USB3. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
communitycaregu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just now having similar issue.  End up with installer error:

warning:file:///ks.cfg:line 3: the disk (mpx.vmhba32:c0:t0:l0) specified in install does not support VMFS

will attempt to disable USB3

0 Kudos
communitycaregu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed this got me past the same thing on ML360 HP Gen9 Server with ESXi 5.5.  Can you tell me what led you to the conclusion that it was the USB3 setting?

0 Kudos
communitycaregu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Next question:  should I re-enable USB3 once the installation is completed?

0 Kudos
LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't really have anything definitive that led me to believe it was USB3. I was searching for HP and MicroSD problems. Most of which indicated to update to the latest ILO firmware (which I was already on) and then I found some other vague posts about boot order and USB3. So I tried both of those and narrowed it down to USB3. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I left mine disabled. I don't have any reason to have it enabled considering I am not going to be hooking up USB devices to it for passthru.

0 Kudos
communitycaregu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  We're definitely looking at the same issue.  After disabling USB3, and installing ESXi successfully, my boot order got messed up and was going directly to network boot.  I re-enabled USB3, and also forced the microSD to the front of the boot order.  Everything still seems to work, and boots correctly, although I've not tried any USB devices.  I'll come back here if I hit any problems.  Thanks again for your post.

0 Kudos
Syed_Mazhar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have recently installed HP Customer Esxi 5.5 image on SD card on DL 380 G9 server.

Unlike G8 server, there is no option in "Intelligent Provisioning"  to use SD card as destination install device.  After installing iLO 4 evaluation license on the server  for remote  management, I  booted the server from Virtual Media disk (mounted with Custom HP Esxi 5.5 ISO) and  initiated installation. This way I was able to choose SD card as destination OS device.

After successful installation, I chose SD card as first bootable device from system BIOS > UFEI boot order and all working fine.

Hope someone find this helpful.

Thanks
Maz

0 Kudos