VMware Cloud Community
okaisan90
Contributor
Contributor

Using HASP HL USB Dongle with ESXi 5.5

Hi @ all,

I'm trying to use a HASP HL USB Dongle with ESXi 5.5. The USB Passthrough is acivated, but when I connect the Dongle straight with the Server (Dell PowerEdge) my client system (Windows Server 2008 r2) does'nt recognize the dongle...Rather I find some USB-Controller with a yellow warning sign that there are missing drivers...

For your information: The Dongle works fine when it's conneted with my host pc, but I want that the dongle is connected all the time with the server...

So what should I do?!

Thank you a lot!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same problem.  I am trying to pass through the USB device, not the controller.  I made no configurations on the host.  I made the following configuration change on the Win2008 guest that needs to see the device.

USB Host Passthrough.jpg

On the Win2008 server, it shows up like this:

USB Host Passthrough Device.jpg

Any recommendations on how to make this license dongle a working device?

USB stick is actually one of the few listed on the compatibility list!

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102134...

ESXi Version 5.5.0 Build 1369380

HP ProLiant DL380p G8

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor

I got my issue resolved with some help from the vendor.

1.  These license dongles don't show up as a drive letter.

2.  I upgraded the security software on the VM where the USB pass through was being used.

3.  I was provided a web page (there's a small web server in the security software) to test if the licensing services are up.

Everything was working fine.  I just didn't know it because it was not a normal storage device.

0 Kudos