VMware Cloud Community
XDroidie
Contributor
Contributor

Using ESXi for same login on multiple PC?

Hi there!

I apologize if this is in the incorrect place firstly, I am new to the forums.

Anyways I have a little home project I would like to try but I am unsure if it would work and would like to ask your advice.

So I am wanting to see if I can use something like ESXi to run 1 login to an OS across multiple machines, similar to how a college or school is setup, the EU can log into one machine in room A and save their work, then log into another machine in room B and continue.

But also, I was wondering if it is possible to do a similar thing with OS, so say you have OSX, Windows and Linux all saved to seperate drives, and you want to run OSX for that day, could you log into the OS and run it on say a laptop one day then a PC another, if you get what I mean.

Would this require a local sort of server to run? so a dedicated ESXi client then something like vCentre or something?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

welcome to community,

ESXi is a bare metal hypervisor, once installed, it then can be managed using vCenter server, GUI options like vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client or other CLI options, now using this vSphere Client or Web Client, you can create Virtual Machines (software computers which are made up of set of files), and install Guest Operating systems like Windows or Linux etc and use them as per your need. You can certainly achieve what you are asking for.

let's say it's windows guest OS that you have installed in your VM, just your RDP or other such remote connection protocol to use it from your laptop or desktop machine.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos