VMware Cloud Community
larry96
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using ESXTOP to see if I have too much CPU for a VM?

We have just moved a SQL Database from one 2012R2 server to a new 2012R2 server. Servers are identical in terms of resources and configuration. The only difference being the old server was SQL 2008 and the new server is SQL 2012.

We have been running into performance issues with the database since it was moved. We have had experts looking at the DB. We have also been looking at the VM and have been wondering if it has too much in resources.

Attached is a screen shot of ESXTOP. The VM in question is highlighted in yellow (SRVUSADCSQL03). The peak utilization hasn't reached 40%. As you can see the host is under utilized.

Can someone help decipher these numbers and point me in a direction? We are hesitant to make any changes since the server was running with the same resources on the old server.

Thanks,

Larry

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Larry,

The quick looks are %RDY and %CSTP - both of these are indicators of CPU contention issues.

If the %CSTP is above 3 then the VM is being "harmed" by excessive vSMP and you could increase performance by reducing the vCPU count. From the screenshot you attached this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Your %RDY is also low however I would expand out the World for this VM to confirm that all the vCPU's have a low %RDY.

Hope this helps. There are many sites that contain all sorts of information but I like to refer to this: ESXTOP - Yellow Bricks

0 Kudos