VMware Cloud Community
TimBee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using CA BrightStor ARCserve 11.5 SP4 to backup VM's

Hello,

I've just upgraded one of my three ESX Servers to ESX 4 U1. The other two are still running ESX 3.5 U5.

I use CA BrightStor ARCserve 11.5 SP4 to make a weekly backup of my VMFS.

I've installed the CA BrightStor ARCserve 11.5 SP4 Linux Agent on the ESX 4 Server. (The 64bit version: ca-lic-01.0063-0000.ia64.rpm). This install was not working anymore after upgrading from ESX 3.5 U5 -> ESX 4. I configured all the settings like a previously did on my ESX 3.5 U5 Servers.

I have this issue now: CA BrightStor ARCserve is able to backup a couple of VM's, but will not complete the backup. Some VM's show the E9033: "Failed to open file"error in the backup LOG. And more importantly: it seems that the "pre_backup.pl" and "post_backup.pl" scriptsare not executed because when BrightStor is busy backing up a VM it does not create a snapshot like it does on the ESX 3.5 Servers.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue, or WAS experiencing the same issue but did reolve it?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Tim.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Sorry i cant help but "ia64" means Itanium(2) and this cant be work because vSphere doesnt work on that, just x86. Are you sure that you try the right package? We use VCB on a proxy to create FullVM Backups and ARCserve pickup "local files" once a week for a backup on tape.

With best regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'