VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Use of .vmxf file in vSphere

what is the use of .vmxf file in vsphere?

As i know this is used for this "A configuration file for teaming features.Teaming is a feature used primarily with VMware workstation to allow administrators to logically group virtual machines for streamlined administration."

Teaming is not the feature of vsphere then why this file is one of the file of vm?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

.vmxf file - This file is a supplemental configuration file that is not used with ESX but is retained for compatibility purposes with Workstation. It is in text format and is used by Workstation for VM teaming where multiple VMs can be assigned to a team so they can be powered on/off or suspended and resumed as a single object.

Compatibility to convert/migrate/copy/move/restore/test between ESXi to Workstation

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

.vmxf is supplementary configuration file for VMs, it is not really relevant in vSphere as it is used by products such as VMware Workstation machines that are in a team etc.

It appears to be there for compatibility with Workstation.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is what the same thing i said in my post. My Question is there is no such teaming feature in vSphere then why it is required?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Like I said it is there for compatibility with VMware workstation

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

what type of compatibility?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

.vmxf file - This file is a supplemental configuration file that is not used with ESX but is retained for compatibility purposes with Workstation. It is in text format and is used by Workstation for VM teaming where multiple VMs can be assigned to a team so they can be powered on/off or suspended and resumed as a single object.

Compatibility to convert/migrate/copy/move/restore/test between ESXi to Workstation

0 Kudos