VMware Cloud Community
aarm
Contributor
Contributor

Use of Common Storage

Hi all

I am looking at proposals to setup 2 HPE Proliant servers connected to common storage and given the high cost of an all SSD storage (50TB) I am offered for example a NetApp FS 2750 with 1.5 TB SSD and the rest SAS 10K disks.  Can the SSD storage as a volume act as cache or will it be a standard datastore and I have to manually decide which VMs live there and worry about moving VM in and out of the SSD datastore?  I also have an offer for an HP MSA 2060.

Thanks for any replies from anyone with experience of such a setup.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

better to post it in storage section

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post is fine in the ESXi section, it will get in front of a good audience here.

If you want it moving, please report it to the moderators by choosing "Report Inappropriate Content" from the 3 dots menu to the right and leave a comment - don't just create a duplicate post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@scott28ttThanks for the hint

0 Kudos
aarm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Scott.  I'll wait a little longer in this group.  When you say "... want it moving ..." do you mean if I want the post to move to the Storage group or to get answers from others ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you would like your post to be moved. I don't think it needs to be, but you might want to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

SSD disk can be used as a cache of the volumes in a storage, this is a feature of most current storage. You should check with your storage provider if this feature is included or requires purchasing a license.

Additionally you should verify the compatibility of the Server, HBA and storage with each other and with VMware.

Another recommendation is to use only one brand or supplier for both the server and the storage. this saves a lot of headaches in the future.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos