VMware Cloud Community
Kopoli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Use datastore in cluster

Hello guys
I have a cluster with 3 esxi host and MSA storage
i add some hdd to one of my host.i want to know can i this storage in other host ? if yes how?

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Short answer: no.

Long answer: you might create a VM to reside in the host with the 10TB disk, create a file share and let other VMs consume that file share.
Still, you won't be consuming that storage at the hypervisor level, you will be consuming it at the Operating systme level but maybe that works. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey, hope you are doing well.
Let me see if I got it correctly: 
You have 3 hosts all with local disks as datastores and you also have a MSA array (which I assume is presented to the hosts, please clarify)
What you want is to add more disks to one of the hosts (let's name it host 1) and consume it from other host (either host 2 or 3)?

If that's the case, you won't be able to do it without any additional products.
It's also not a good idea to have VMs residing on local datastores. 

What you can do, if you meet the requirements is to configure vSAN in the cluster, that way all the local storage from the three hosts will be pooled into a single datastore.
BUT there is a catch.
1. All your hosts have to be in compatible with vSAN https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan
2. You have to have SSD disks available.
3. You have to get a vSAN license.

If you don't meet those requirements, I dont think you will be able to do it.

0 Kudos
Kopoli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi thank you for respond
i have 3 host but anyone has no local disk
all of them use lan on MSA2050
all host connect to msa
but at this time we need to add 10TB HDD to one of my host
so i want to know for example if i add 10TB HDD in host 1, one of my machine in host 2 can access this new 10TB hard disk or not?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Short answer: no.

Long answer: you might create a VM to reside in the host with the 10TB disk, create a file share and let other VMs consume that file share.
Still, you won't be consuming that storage at the hypervisor level, you will be consuming it at the Operating systme level but maybe that works. 

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Also, if my answer was useful, please consider giving Kudos or marking the answer as correct.

0 Kudos