BanchaTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Urgent Upgrade ESX 4.1 to ESXI 5.5 with CD/ISO

Dear Expert Alls,

I have plan to upgrade ESX 4.1 to ESXI5.5 with cd/iso

So My Server have 2 Raids array same HOST

1 ESX 4.1 install on raid 1 (146GB)

2 DATASTORE1 raid 5  that was created with ESX 4.1 VMFS3 and used to all VMs.

If i need to upgrade to ESXi5.5 with CD/ISO How way to safe for this case.?

and All Vms that run virtual machine version  7.

I test simulate server with SDcard and install ESX4.1 on SD card when it finished i reboot and insert new OS ESXi5.5.

Then i choose upgrade ans it not have preserve VMFS Option ? Cause ESX 4.1 on SD case not have Datastore inside it will be not preserv option.

Any expert can suggest me.

Regards,

Have a nice day.

Bancha

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

Have a read of VMFS 3 versions and upgrade paths (1005325) | VMware KB

This can't be done, you need to move the VM's off, and then do it. Remove datastore and recreate.

0 Kudos
BanchaTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sir Now i'm rum VMFS 3.33 version can work for update to VMFS5 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from VMFS-3.33 to VMFS-5

Can I upgrade while my virtual machines are running?

Yes. Upgrading from VMFS-3.33 to VMFS-5 can be done on-the-fly (virtual machines do not need to be powered-off, suspended, or migrated).

Do I have to use the command-line to upgrade to VMFS-5?

The upgrade to from VMFS-3.33 to VMFS-5 can be done either via the ESXi 5.x command-line or via vSphere Client.

Note
: Ensure that all ESX hosts accessing the LUN are already on ESXi 5.x.

• To upgrade to VMFS-5 using the vSphere Client, Under Configuration > Storage, highlight the desired VMFS-3 datastore, and click on Upgrade to VMFS-5...
  • To upgrade to VMFS-5 using the ESXi host command-line, use the command:

# vmkfstools -T /vmfs/volumes/<VMFS3datastore>

So on your test system you have complete the upgrade and use the vmkfstools command direct from the host cli - you will need to take note of the volumes names

0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

This could be your situation though

ESX 4.x host that was upgraded
from ESX 3.x with a partition layout
incompatible with ESXi 5.x

Not supported.

The VMFS partition cannot be preserved. Upgrading or migration is possible only if there is at most one VMFS partition on the disk that is being upgraded and the VMFS partition must start after sector 1843200.

Perform a fresh installation. To keep virtual machines, migrate them to a different system.

0 Kudos
BanchaTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jam1eGJam1eG

That very clear! for VMSF 3.33 to vmfs5.5 with fly GUI upgrade but One thing if while i'm update ESX 4.1 to esxi 5.5 with CD/ISO.

And something fail.Then ESX will roll back to befor upgrade ??

I very confuse about perverse  vmfs data option if server have 2 VOLUME that (1 VMFS datastore  bunndle when instaill ESX on first array raid but no VM running. and 1 datastore that mount from LUN that create from next array raid volume and have all vms Running)

In the option preserver vmfs data that ESXi will rescan only vmfs path that stay on same volume that esxi will install/upgrade right ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BanchaTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My ESX 4.1 i install from Live CD. and have update some security patch only.

any idea ?

0 Kudos
BanchaTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for "

ESX 4.x host that was upgraded

from ESX 3.x with a partition layout

incompatible with ESXi 5.x"

While in run install esxi5.5  with CD will check and ask me if have case on above  befor next step right ?

0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

If when installing/upgrading you use the preserve datastores check box this will keep you existing datastores and data. Good to ensure you've always got a backup but you're doing this on your test system.

0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor

So did you start at esx4.x or did you upgrade to that using your live CD?

Not sure what you're saying here "While in run install esxi5.5  with CD will check and ask me if have case on above  befor next step right ?"

0 Kudos