VMware Cloud Community
topokin
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading to ESXi 4.1 Update 1

I have ESXi 4.0 and ESXi 4.1 that I would like to upgrade to "ESXi 4.1 Update 1". I do not have vCenter and do not plan to install one. What would be my option and procedures?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
topokin
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved, I have discovered that I cna user vSphere CLI.

Will get back if problem encountered.

0 Kudos
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I see you already got your answer, but I was just commenting on another post about why using the vMA is a good idea.  This is a good example. I would advise deploying a vMA server and using it to run the vihostupdate remotely to update your hosts.

-Kyle

jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In addition to deploying vMA for vihostupdate you need to find something to foward log files to with ESXi as if you reboot you loose any log files and it also becomes difficult to troubleshoot issues, which is another good reason to deploy vMA as that can accept your log files.

topokin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys for the tool, will surely look into it.

However for someone who might be having a single ESXi host, would this be ideal when wanting to apply updates as the vMA will be hosted on the same machine as the others VMs.

I have read as a practice to stop all VMs before applying patches. In this case I have to leave the vMA running while still applying updates to the host.

0 Kudos