VMware Cloud Community
denz1217
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading to ESX 4 (VS4)

Hi Guys,

I'm currently planning to upgrade our ESX 3.5 u4 to VS4 u1. I've watched a couple of vids from VMware on how to go about this. However, I remember changing some or a port during the initial installation of ESX 3.5. Unfortunately, I couldn't see my notes anymore. As far as I know , i changed the HTTP port to 8080. This is the reason I can access the webpart via http://&lt;hostname&gt;:8080. I also remember applying http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100391... because of this change. Lastly, when I go to Administration &gt; VirtualCenter Management Server Configuration &gt; Web Service, </font>the HTTP Port value is 8080.

Now, I'm kinda lost because on the attached screenshot (ports configuration part of the upgrade/installation), it shows me the default ports (I believe). I'm seeing..

HTTP port: 80

Web Services HTTP Port: 8080

I know I'll need to change the HTTP from 80 to 8080, this might affect the Web Services HTTP port which is already set to 8080.

Question(s):

- Can anyone brief me on the differences of the two?

- Where can I check on my current ESX 3.5 to verify what port is being used by this "Web Services HTTP Port"

Thanks so much for the help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
denz1217
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again folks,

I run a new install of VCS 2.5 on one test vm just for me to remember what transpired during the initial install. Attached (see screenshot2.jpg) is exactly what I encountered coz IIS was installed. So, at that time, I jonly changed the HTTP Web service from 80 to 8080.

Now, further to my confusion. Screenshot2.jpg(from VCS 2.5), the web server port points to 8086 but on screenshot.jpg (vS4), Web Services HTTP port is 8080. I'm not so sure if..

1. On screenshot.jpg (VS4), I'll change the HTTP port from 80 to 8080. Then, also mod Web Services HTTP port from 8080 to 8086.

** I'm not positive if the "Web Server Port" (from VCS 2.5) is the same as "Web Services HTTP Port" (from VS4). But looks like.

2. Probably, to make it easy, I'll just stop the default web server on IIS (currently binded to port 80). Then, accept all the defaults from the VS4 upgrade/installation.

Any comments/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you all.

0 Kudos