ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrading hardware and ESXi - Please recommend

Posted Jan 10, 2017 01:31 AM

Currently I am running VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-HP-5.71.3-Sep2013 (with Update 1) on:

HP BL460C G7 E5640 blade

(yes I do get a purple screen every 6 months or so)

I am planning to upgrade my equipment to:

New HP DL360p Gen8 2x 2.60GHz 8C E5-2670 96GB P420i 1GB

I would like to run on it: VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-Update2-3620759-HPE-600.9.6.5.7-Dec2016-depot

All my current virtual machines are now located on Blades and will need to be moved to new DL360p server with plenty of HD space.

Questions:

Can VMs be moved between servers from one ESXi version to a higher version. Example 5.5 to 6.0? Does this affect the VM?

This is HP server so I am using HP ESXi images to install them. Any advice before I begin?

Can I jump from 5.5 U1 to 6.0 U2? OR Should I first go to 5.5 U3 then upgrade to 6.0 U2? What do you recommend?

Should I even consider 6.5 at this time?

Thanks in advance and please advise.

edit by wila: removed ALL CAPS from subject line.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading hardware and ESXi - Please recommend
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 10, 2017 01:33 PM

Hello.

Let's get to the answers:

Can VMs be moved between servers from one ESXi version to a higher version. Example 5.5 to 6.0? Does this affect the VM?

A: Yes, they can. Will you do vMotion or cold migration? For vMotion you should take into account the proper requirements. In both cases be aware of the guest OS compatibility and the hardware version. Check out the compatibility guide.

This is HP server so I am using HP ESXi images to install them. Any advice before I begin?

A: You might want to update firmware and drivers to a specific version or just run a HP SPP.

Can I jump from 5.5 U1 to 6.0 U2? OR Should I first go to 5.5 U3 then upgrade to 6.0 U2? What do you recommend?

A; Yes. No need to go to 5.5U3.

Should I even consider 6.5 at this time?

A: vSphere 6.5 is not supported on blades HP Gen 7, only Gen 8 or higher. Will you still use Gen 7? Also is it a production environment? Is there a key feature on vSphere 6.5 you are willing to use?

I hope this helps.

Kauy,

• 3.  RE: Upgrading hardware and ESXi - Please recommend

Posted Jan 11, 2017 12:50 AM

I am removing gen 7 blades and installing new HP DL360p Gen 8 Server.

I will just move the actual folders containing the VMX files from old server to the new. There is no vMotion.

What are some differences between 5.5 and 6.0? Are there any limitations?

What if I just run a free version of 6.0 ESXi to move VMs and until I am ready to license it? Can this scenario work? ( I realize memory limitations)

Thanks in advance.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading hardware and ESXi - Please recommend

Posted Jan 11, 2017 12:16 PM

There some differences, check out this document where you might find something useful. Try the section vSphere Hypervisor Enhancements, which seems more suitable for you.

Run the free vSphere Hypervisor is different than run ESXi in evaluation mode. Running ESXi in evaluation mode gives you all features a Enterprise Plus license would provide (But you have only 60 days to provide a valid license). Check the VMware product page to see the Free vSphere Hypervisor limitations.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading hardware and ESXi - Please recommend

Posted Jan 12, 2017 02:18 AM

Thanks. please tell me if the following license is suitable for me for what I am planning to do:

VS6-ESSL-KIT-C VMware vSphere Essentials Kit ( v. 6 ) - license

Otherwise I can try using free option or eval. Please kindly advise

• 6.  RE: Upgrading hardware and ESXi - Please recommend

Posted Jan 16, 2017 07:14 PM

Once I have installed Vmware 6.0 U2 on new server what is the best way in terms of moving VMs between old and new server (located on the same vlan network).

The old server is running free version of Vmware 5.5 limited to 32gb of memory so there is no vCenter and vMotion.

The new server will be running VS6-ESSL-KIT-C VMware vSphere Essentials Kit ( v. 6 ) - license

What is the advise on what database to use for vCenter (included in the package or SQL?)

Also what is the best way of moving VMs

One exceptional VM has a size of 10.8TB

Thanks in advance.