VMware Cloud Community
TwincaAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading for ESXi 6.5 to 6.7 - PSOD #PF Exception 14 in world 2097594: vmkdevmgr IP 0x41800f2ff2c9

Hi...

Purple screen of death. #PF Exception 14 in world 2097594

I've an old server withe a Intel S5500BC Mother board. I've migrated the VM's to a new server, but I want the old server as a Backup server. I has been running without any problem until now, with the ESXi 6.5 Release Build 5969303. I want the old server to be upgraded to same version as new server, so we can move VM's to it when we need to maintenance our new system.  But if I'm trying to upgrade to anything newer than ESXi 6.5 Release Build 5969303. I'm getting a Purple Screen Of Death. I've updated both Bios and the raid controller FW to latest version. But still the same problem.

Is there anyone there can interpret this PSOD and tell me the exact problem and maybe a way to fix this issue?

I've seen someone with similar issue on the internet, but no answer.

This is the PSOD I'm getting when upgrading to version 6.7.U3b:

pastedImage_0.png

This version is running without problems.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Can you confirm which hardware and model are you using?

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Technical issues should be posted to the appropriate product area, moved to ESXi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

On an old server, do you want to install the version of Esxi 6.7.U3b?

Have you checked the compatibility matrix?

Your Mother Board was already incompatible with version 6.5

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_2.png

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How to interpret a PSOD: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004250

As others have pointed out, looks like your hardware is not supported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
TwincaAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Hardware is Intel Mother board S5500BC, Intel  Xeon CPU E5630 @ 2.53GHz And Raid controller is RS2BL040

I know it is not officiel supported... but is there not a way to make it work  (Workaround), just as and backup, test and emergency solution ?  It is not entened as a production environment.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

No. As long as hardware not supported it should not worked and also there is no tricky way to do it.

Hope you understand.

Please mark helpful or correct if your query resolve it.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
TwincaAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you see for the PSOD Which Hardware in specific there is causing the problem?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A few mentions of ne1000 in the stack output, suggesting a NIC issue.

See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/esxi/comments/ajeetj/trying_to_install_esxi_67_does_anyone_know_why_im/

afmoyano
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same issue with this board. I solved creating a custom ISO and removing the ne1000 driver provided on 6.7 (6.5U2 also fails) and keep the driver provided on 6.5U1 (0.8.0-16vmw.650.1.26.5969303). Upgrade and enjoy!

And as said before, is not supported, but at least can use 6.7 at your own risk 🙂

0 Kudos