VMware Cloud Community
yasinka
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading a VMware ESXi host fails with the error: Cannot run upgrade script on host

Hello,

I try to upgrade ESXi 5.5 to 6.5 via Vsphere upgrade tool. But I get "Cannot run upgrade script on host" error. I try to find solution but there is no method that match my problem. I grep "failed" word in vua.log file and get these lines:

/var/log # grep failed vua.log
--> WARNING:root:Command "esxcfg-advcfg -q -g /Misc/enableTboot" failed (Command esxcfg-advcfg -q -g /Misc/enableTboot exited with code 256). Assuming no tboot
--> WARNING:root:Command "esxcfg-advcfg -q -g /Misc/enableTboot" failed (Command esxcfg-advcfg -q -g /Misc/enableTboot exited with code 256). Assuming no tboot

I will be very appreciated anyone lead me to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The first thing is to validate whether the server or hardware supports the new version that we are installing, if your server is a branded model (e.g. HP DL360 GEn X) it is easier to find it in the VMware compatibility matrix, otherwise you will need to validate the required CPU, Controller, Cards, and other internal devices. Attached link:

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php

The first thing is to validate whether the server or hardware supports the new version that we are installing, if your server is a branded model (e.g. HP DL360 GEn X) it is easier to find it in the VMware compatibility matrix, otherwise you will need to validate the required CPU, Controller, Cards, and other internal devices. Attached link:

https://interopmatrix.vmware.com/#/Upgrade?productId=1

As its version is 5.5 you would recommend upgrading by either of these two methods:

1.  Offline upgrade from a bootable ISO while preserving VMfs.
     2.  Maintenance mode upgrade from CLI using a patch package (file.zip)

The order of general update is
     1. vCenter Server
     2. ESXi Host

In version 5.X licenses 5 are used, for version 6.X you require to have licenses 6

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
kodanda
Contributor
Contributor

Question:  Unable to upgrade from ESXi 6.7 to 7.0 u3 getting the following error message "Cannot run upgrade script on host".

Solution:

Previously we upgraded with this build ESXi 6.7.0 17499825 to 7.0 Update 3f 20036589 successfully completed without any problems/issues.

now we are facing issue while upgrading from 6.7.0, build no 15160138 to 7.0 Update 3f 20036589. so to fix this issue we upgraded the baseline from this build #15160138 to 17499825(ESXi 6.7 EP 18) which is released on 2021/02/23, then upgraded to 7.0 u3.  

0 Kudos