VMware Cloud Community
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading a VMWare ESXi 4.0.0 (208167)

I have a few questions before upgrading my current ESXi 4.0 server:

1. Do I need to backup my existing ESXi 4.0 before upgrading? If yes, how?

2. I have a Dell PowerEdge T710 server hosting the ESXi - which upgrade image should I be using?

3. Should the update be done via the vSphere Host Update Utility 4.0 tool?

4. Any other tips of the trade?

Thanks for your advise.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First of all: Is you ESXi part of a vCenter managed cluster?

If yes, I would use the update manager function build in the vCenterServer.

if not, use the host update utility.

I had never errors during an upgrade but would recommend a backup if you are using a local datastore. For central datastores, I would prefer to disconnect them during the upgrade process.

About the image: Use the vmware proviced unless you need a dell branded because of management features.

Regards

MT

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are not using a vCenter managed cluster - simply the free ESXi version with a local datastore managed through a vSphere client. What's the best way of backing up my VMs before the update?

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are using the free ESXi edition, you cannot use VMware products for backup and recovery.

Have a look at veeam fastscp zu get the VMs off your host and, if any errors occur, put them backup again.

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Download Patches and Updates

For ESXi, you can download available host patches and maintenance updates.

Procedure

1 Select Start > Programs > VMware > vSphere Host Update Utility 4.1.

2 Select File > Download Patches from VMware.

vSphere Host Update Utility downloads patches and updates from the official servers.

What to do next

Scan the hosts and apply the updates and patches.

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nice tip ITThies - Veeam FastSCP looks great. Do the VMs have to be offline in order to copy/back them up? Do you know of any good tools which can backup VMs in online mode? Thanks again

@ hafeezpashamohammed - will the way you mention also download the correct manufacturers update image? I have noticed that our ESXi is a pre-delivered Dell system.

0 Kudos