VMware Cloud Community
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Upgrading VMware Tools without restart

Hi,

Can the VMware Tools on Windows Server virtual machine be upgraded without restarting the vm after update?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JPM300
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

After version 5.5 you will no longer need to reboot to install / upgrade VMware tools, however the upgrade to 5.5 still requires a reboot Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

After version 5.5 you will no longer need to reboot to install / upgrade VMware tools, however the upgrade to 5.5 still requires a reboot Smiley Sad

MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

On 5.1 Update 1 isn't possible?

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Sorry, it would appear version 5.1 to 5.5 doesn't require a reboot, however there may be some instances where it still may request it.  I would try a manual upgrade on one host to test and see how it reacts.  Here is a good article on the matter:

Clarification on (Zero-Down Time) VMware Tools Upgrade in vSphere 5.1 | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware...

VMware KB: Determining if a VMware Tools upgrade requires a reboot of a Windows guest operating syst...

So assuming all your drives from VMware Tools 5.1 are up to date and don't require a replacement you shouldn't require a reboot, however if one of the main componentes listed in the 2nd KB article need to be replaced it may ask for a reboot.  This reboot can also be prosponed until the next maintenence window if required.

I hope this has helped.

cp24eva
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Keep in mind, while it wont reboot the system, it will log on anyone that is currently using the VM. I had to find this out the hard way after kicking off like 20 VMtools upgrades. Definitely worth noting.

0 Kudos
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to clarify, by upgrading to 5.5, JPM300 is referring to bringing the vm hardware level up to vmx-10. If the hosts are at 5.5 but the vm is still at 9 or below, the vmware tools upgrade will reboot the vm unless the appropriate suppress switch is used.

VM version 8 (5.0 level)

/S /v"/qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress"

VM Version 9 (5.1 level)

/S /v"/qn REBOOT=R"

VMs at vmx-10 do not require the switch.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos
HeatherStreet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just tested a upgrade of VMware Tools on VMs with vmx-10 with a "Automatic" upgrade......they all rebooted Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ChuckS42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yah, I noticed that, too, but just for Windows Server 2012 VMs.  Started happening with the most recent VM Tools updates.

0 Kudos
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Heather and Chuck,

Sorry, just saw this. That stinks. It worked properly when I tested on my 2008 servers, but I probably used the switch on the couple of test 2012 servers I had at the time. Sorry that happened to you. I wonder if it's been fixed with hardware version 11.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos