VMware Cloud Community
dgagne58
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading PSC Appliance 6.0U1 to 6.0U2 Hangs at 70%

I am currently trying to upgrade my 6.0U1 PSC appliance to 6.0U2 and it hangs at 70% or on the "Updating software packages". I have had to revert back to snapshot each time after the upgrade continue to hang up to an hour.

I have one PSC with two VCSA's assigned. The PSC is domain joined and the default certificate has been replaced. Previous upgrades have run without issue. Thoughts?

20 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

space disk is ok ?

any log ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mohan1403
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

VCSA upgrade may take some time @ 70% stage to complete the upgrade successfully. Also the time it takes depends on your network connection to download the RPMs.

Could you please check log file /var/log/vmware/applmgmt/software-packages.log file and update if you observe any error.

Thanks,

Mohan

0 Kudos
dgagne58
Contributor
Contributor

No issues with disk space

0 Kudos
dgagne58
Contributor
Contributor

No errors in the software-packages.log. We sent the log bundle to VMware Support and they have been unable to find something that would cause the issue. The only thing they have see is that SSLv3 is enabled even though the appropriate change was made to disable it after the 6.0 U1 upgrade.

0 Kudos
bio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We got the same issue after upgrading our PSC to u2. Any progress on this one ?

__________________________________________________________ If you find an answer that helps you, please mark it as "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dgagne58
Contributor
Contributor

None. I have had an open ticket with VMware support for 2 weeks no and all I get from them is they are stilling looking at the log bundle but nothing is jumping out to them.

0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please give the details like this setup is already upgrade from 55x or 60x version to 60u1 and then upgraded to 60u2 to understand the issue in details and also if possible upload the logs to this thread.

If it is useful, plz mark answer as correct or helpful.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed, or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.
0 Kudos
bio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't want to hijack this thread but we started out with u1 then u1b and now u2.

regards

richard

__________________________________________________________ If you find an answer that helps you, please mark it as "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Richard,

Did you see any issue in VCSA update from 60u1 -->60u1b --> to 60u2?

If yes then please provide the logs to see the issue.

-Sridhar

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed, or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.
0 Kudos
iamSandeep
Contributor
Contributor

So, If I understand correctly the UI got stuck at 70% and in the back-end the upgrade completely 100 %

that is in the software-packages.log file you are seeing something like

[15303]DEBUG:task_manager:UpdateTask:status=completed, percent=100, message=Packages upgraded successfully, reboot is required to complete installation

If you dont see this log in the software-packages.log file then the upgrade was still in progress, and had not completed. And the UI was reporting the correct progress.

If you see the log message, then please go ahead and open a service request with VMware customer care, you may have to provide the clone of the appliance for further debugging.

Regards

Sandeep

0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this issue is still not resolved?

Recently I have observed upgrade hangs in case of IPv6 is disabled on 60u1, could you please try enabling IPv6 on vcsa 60u1 and then upgrade, it should work without any issue.

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
m0t0rh3ad
Contributor
Contributor

We got PSCs working in linked mode withiout update1. We tried to install update2 - fail. Update 1 isntalled ok. We tried to install update 2 on both our PSCs. In console on both PSCs during update process we got messages like this: “udevd[xxx: specified group ‘lp’ unknown” during Upgrading software packages stage.

During upgrade to “update1” there were same messages but process was finished successful.

0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You mean VCSA upgrade stuck, please confirm

Also could you check if IPv6 is disabled on legacy VCSA if yes then enable it before update as this is a known issue in 60u2.

VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Update 2 Release Notes

----------------

Updated Attempts to upgrade vCenter Server Appliance or the Platform Services Controller Appliance from 6.0 Update 1 or 6.0 Update 1b to 6.0 Update 2 fail if IPv6 is disabled

Attempts to upgrade vCenter Server Appliance or the Platform Services Controller Appliance from 6.0 Update 1 or 6.0 Update 1b to 6.0 Update 2 fail if IPv6 is disabled.

Workaround: Before the upgrade, enable IPv6 in the legacy setup and then perform the upgrade.

-------------

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
m0t0rh3ad
Contributor
Contributor

After enable IPv6 upgrade process finish succesful. Thanks, SridharG

0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the issue is resolved then please don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

-Sridhar

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you please clarify "legacy setup"?  A screenshot would be helpful.

0 Kudos
panhia
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.  I was able to installed it when it was first released but then once the upgrade is done, i could not get back into vcenter.  none of the local or root password work.  Reverted back to the snapshot before the update and ran it since.  The last month or two, I have been trying to get it to update again by downloading the new update installer.  I get to the 40% mark and then it's stuck on staging. I let it ran for more than 8 hours with no success.

I just tried what some of you said here, IPv6 was not disabled in my case.  I tried disabling it and after the reboot, i couldn't get to my appliance site anymore..

Another colleague of mine had the same problem with his VMs. 

by the way, i have an embedded psc.

thanks,

0 Kudos
fifthman_roshan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even we had the same issue. It was stuck at 70 % for few hours.

No error in the log file.

We just rebooted the appliance and it was showing updated version. All post task seems to be normal.

This seems to be a known issue.

0 Kudos
fifthman_roshan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even we had the same issue. It was stuck at 70 % for few hours.

No error in the log file.

We just rebooted the appliance and it was showing updated version. All post task seems to be normal.

This seems to be a known issue.

0 Kudos