VMware Cloud Community
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading ESXi

Hi,

I have ESXI v7.0.0 install and have been using it for over a year.  It is connected to VSphere Center.  I have been able to patch vCenter using the Appliance Manager to 7.0.2.00200.  I now need to patch ESXi.

FYI, vCenter is a VM on the ESXi host.

I tried using vCenter to patch the ESXi Host and when I remediate I get the attached issue.  I don't know how to fix this since vCenter is installed on the host.  If I shutdown vCenter then I won't be able to patch ESXi.

Please help!

Rick

2021-08-16_13-27-56.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
kenobi79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi 

you can upgrade your ESXi host from DCUI mode.

Mount the the esxi ISO  on the Virtual CD of the idrac and perform an "Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS Datastore" 

kenobi79_0-1629194021386.png

And go on.

Your vCenter Server must be on the same version of esxi 

Bye - Riccardo Panzieri
https://www.i3piccioni.it
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I have to have the most current version of ESXi on an ISO then?

0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ricardo,

I was able to get the latest ESXi iso.  Unfortunately, I am fairly new to this.  How do I mount the ISO on the Host?  I know how to do this on a VM but I can't seem to find it on the host?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

A few questions:

1. On what hardware (vendor/model) do you have ESXi installed?
  2. Did you download the vendor customized ESXi image (if applicable)?
  3. Do you have any additional drivers/tools installed on the ESXi host?
  4. Does the host offer remote management, e.g. Dell iDRAC, or HPE ilO, and is it licensed for for advanced features like virtual media?

As an alternative to using the ISO image (or a CD-ROM) you can also use an Offline Bundle (.zip) file to update/patch the host from the command line.

As a side note. Consider to update the host's firmware too.

André

0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andre,

I built the server myself.  I am a software developer and use the VMs to support my clients.

I installed vSphere 7 Enterprise Plus.  So, vCenter is running and controlling ESXi.

vCenter is running v7.02 ( I was able to upgrade vCenter from v7.0.0)

ESXi is running v 7.00

So, I need to know what to do now to patch ESXi.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming that the latest ESXi version supports your hardware, you may either burn a CD-ROM from the ISO image that you've downloaded, and boot the ESXi host from that CD-ROM. This will let you choose whether to re-install or upgrade ESXi (see @kenobi79 's reply).

Other than this you may download the Offline Bundle (.zip file), and update/patch ESXi by running a couple of commands from the command line.

André

0 Kudos
kenobi79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can burn your ESXi ISO as indicated by @a_p_  or from idrac or ilo of your server... you must open the virtual console (of idrac or ilo) and attach the virtual cd, then browse to your iso and mount it (you have to do as when you first installed esxi)

then reboot the esxi and boot from cdrom.

PS: verify that your hatdware is in matrix with the latest version of esxi

Bye - Riccardo Panzieri
0 Kudos
rweiserpoly
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I am new to ESXi.  Is there anyway you can provide detailed instructions on how to do each step?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What's interesting here is that I can update vCenter very easily, but updating ESXi not straightforward and requires a linux knowledge.  Why is it so difficult?

0 Kudos
kenobi79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

don't worry

paste me the model of node... is it a dell, a hp or other? tell me the model and i'll try to write a walkthrough... it's no more hard... 

Bye - Riccardo Panzieri
0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Riccardo,

Its a server that I built. I am a software developer and I use it setup clone servers for my testing my clients software.

thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
kenobi79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can burn the esxi iso on a usb key or burn on cd and boot the server from the device... 

on the usb key, i think that you can use unetboot in for to have a bootable usb

Bye - Riccardo Panzieri
0 Kudos