VMware Cloud Community
Trouzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading ESXi 5.1 host hardware

We currently have VMware ESXi, 5.1.0, 799733 with 3 BL480c G1 blades as hosts. I have 3 new BL660 Gen8 servers sitting in my office and am planning to begin our host upgrade this weekend.

Our intention is to put 1 existing host into maintenance mode and then remove it from the cluster and the Blade chassis. I'll then plug in the new server, configure the NICs and HBAs to be identical to the old, install the HP version of VMware ESXi giving the new server the identical name and IP address as the old host. I will then add it to the cluster, present and configure the storage and allow HA to move VMs onto the host.

I know I'll have to maintain the base (Merom) level of EVC until I get all 3 hosts replaced.

I haven't found any specific documentation on replacing host machines so I'm curious if this sounds like a doable plan.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just create new cluster and migrate all the load.
If you can do it with powering VMs off then you don't need even to worry about EVC.

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just create new cluster and migrate all the load.
If you can do it with powering VMs off then you don't need even to worry about EVC.

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you have any space problem in your BladeCenter ? If so, maybe you can add only one ESXi in it and migrate all the load on this one. Just create a new cluster with one new host, migrate all the load from your old cluster to the new one, remove your older hosts from vCenter and BladeCenter, plug in your 2 new hosts and add them to the new cluster.

I do think that, even if your current hosts are overloaded, 1x BL660c G8 can easily handle the load of 3 BL460c G1.

These operation will not take long to do and will not let your VM out of HA too much time.

Hope it helps.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
Trouzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Anton, that sounds a little more logical.

0 Kudos