VMware Cloud Community
email2abdulhadi
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading ESXI Vsphere from 5.0 to 5.5 Need Help (Never done Before)

Hi guys,

I am trying to upgrade my Vsphere here in my organization where i joined recently. they have a complex system here and most of the VM systems are running for production. ESXI 5.0 is presently installed on the vsphere and needs to be upgrade to 5.5 in order to bring in Networker backup software.

since its a production system i thought it would be better to test on test system before i do in the production system. i took a machine and installed win 2008 server and when i wanted to install 5.0 its not getting installed on the test machine. i have spent a lot of time doing this. now i am in a dielama what should i do. should i do dierectly on the production system or should i test it before i do it in production system.

need precious advice on this friends, i am not much well versed with the Vmware i just used to do the basic maintaince in my previous organization.

Please advice.

Thanks & Reagrds

Tags (3)
10 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

If you have any specific software that requires compatibility with version of VMware, you will need to check with the manufacturer's supplier.

In general there aren't complications to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.5. Only recommend you see the matrix compatibility if you use other VMware software such as vCOPs, SRM, etc. through the site:

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

One way to update without any downtime on VMs at first time, upgrade first upgrade vCenter, and then immediately try to put one or more hosts in maintenance mode so that other hosts in the cluster can handle the load, so you do not have downtime.

Recommend you read:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205835...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205232...

Hope help you.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
email2abdulhadi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Marou,

Thanks for quick reply, i wil try to read through the links which you have sent. please send me the link from where i need to download the upgrade patch.

thanks & Regards.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you use vmware update manager, you can download patches of upgrade hosts vSphere.

To upgrade vcenter you must download here

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?productId=353&downloadGroup=VC55U2B

ESXi 5.5 Update 2

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?productId=352&downloadGroup=ESXI55U2

note: check if there is any custom image specific according your hardware. ( https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?productId=352&downloadGroup=ESXI55U2#custom_iso )

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
email2abdulhadi
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Marou,

I wanted to take the backup of the envoirment before i do any update, what do you advice will it be good to take  the backup of the envoirment if incase update fails.

Is it a complex process to restore the envoirment if incase the upgrade fails has been failed.

hope u are having good start of new year.

have a great day.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mathan2012
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Before upgrade 5.0 to 5.5 you need to plan correctly. Then only your production enviornment not affected.

1. Are you going to upgrade 5.0 to 5.5 same vCenter server or different vCenter server.

2. If you are planning same vCenter server need to take all the DB backup.

3. If you are planning install new vCenter server no issue, once you installed then you take DB backup and restore to New vCenter server.

Before vCenter 5.5 installation required the fully qualified vCenter name and DNS entries.

If you required any help please let us know.

S. Mathana Gopal.
0 Kudos
email2abdulhadi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Please see my answers to your questions.

1. Are you going to upgrade 5.0 to 5.5 same vCenter server or different vCenter server.

We are planning to upgrade on same Vcentre server. just need to upgrade the vsphere and vcentre server on the same hardware box

2. If you are planning same vCenter server need to take all the DB backup.

Do we need to take the envoirment backup of the farm or are talking about the application backup whose application are installed on the VM's

3. If you are planning install new vCenter server no issue, once you installed then you take DB backup and restore to New vCenter server.

Please put some more light on the DB backup is it the backup of the envoirment or of the application DB backup.

Before vCenter 5.5 installation required the fully qualified vCenter name and DNS entries.

Vcentre name and the DNS entries are already there do we need to make any changes on it.

and how do i upgrade the host once i upgrade the vsphere server

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

First upgrade vCenter, second vSphere hosts. If you upgrade vSphere hosts before vCenter you will have a problem to manage all hosts . (I.E: vCenter 5.0 cannot manage vSphere Hosts 5.5)

Also you can check procedure to upgrade vCenter here -->

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc%2FGUID-18B7B4BB-...

Additional documentation: VMware KB: Upgrading to vCenter Server 5.5 best practices

0 Kudos
siva2vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have done recently upgrade the esxi 5.0 to 5.5 through update manager. It was not much complicate. I would suggest use the same method for your up gradation and before have backup of host profile.

0 Kudos
email2abdulhadi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Siva,

Is any thing other than host profile backup is required. i have few questions if you can please answer them

Do we need to take the backup of Data base of the application running on Vmware

Upgradation of the Vmware Vshpere is to done first and then the host?

upgrdation of the vshpere is done through the boot process.

0 Kudos
siva2vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Abdul,

Backup of Database running on VM is not required as before upgrade a esxi host, it would be in  maintenance mode means all VMs would have migrated to other host.

up-gradation of the Vmware Vshpere and host  - both means the same - Hope you meant for vcenter?

Yes.

1.First check vmtools on all VMs are update-to-date & running.

2.Backup of host profile

3.Test the root credential of the host is working

4.Take backup of DBs (Vcenter)

5.upgrade of Vcenter - its challenge one. I have had faced many issues and at finally I have done directly installed latest version of VC. So i would say, go to fresh installation of VC

6.upgrade/install update manager

7.Bring the esxihost into maintenance mode and import esxi image into update manager

8.Attach host baseline and scan and re mediate it.

9.Verify everything is normal as expected .

Hope this helps you.

0 Kudos