VMware Cloud Community
daamador14
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade vs update via CLI and Vmware support

Hi experts,

I'm very new on this Vmware world, I was just playing around with Workstation as I wanted to perform an ESXi upgrade from 5.0 to 5.5 u2.

I'm very confused with two things, your outputs will be highly appreciate it

When I search for this process on the internet, I get some videos and external (non-official Vmware KBs) explaining the process as quite simple, the examples show how to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.5 or to 6.x, the point is that seems to be an <UPGRADE>. And they just run the command for example:

esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/<your_volume>/VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-depot.zip

This seems to work as the version is upgraded indeed.

But then I see on other post that when doing "UPGRADES" is not correct using that CLI sintax, on the VPshere upgrade guide I actually found this:

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

The esxcli software vib update and esxcli software vib install commands are not supported for upgrade operations

So just to confirm 100% and do things right, which command is for what?

For UPGRADES IS this?

esxcli software profile update –depot=/vmfs/volumes/54aeddbd-e5943701-1cf2-f8db88fbd420/VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-depot.zip –profile=ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-standard

For UPDATESIS this?

esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/<your_volume>/VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-depot.zip

What happens if I upgrade runing the esxcli software vib update/install and everything looks okay? is my system compromise? if that command is only for patches, why is even allow for upgrades?

I'll appreciate the assistance experts.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies