VMware Cloud Community
VmwareProfile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade to vSphere and COS / VMDK

Hi,

I have already upgrade to vCenter, so I must now upgrade all the hosts from 3.5 to 4.0.

I must choose a VMDK to store the COS !! Actually I have 3 Datastore connected to my 4 host.

Must I used one of them to store the 4 future COS ?

Must I created 1 VMDK per COS ?

Must I created 1 VMDK for all my COS ?

If the COS is a VMDK file, It's also a VM ? If it's a VM the COS can be moved from one DATASTORE to an other ?

Thanks very much

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Tom!

If u use Update Manager to upgrade your hosts the VMDK of the COS is automatically stored locally.

I never tried to store the COS on a SAN LUN or anywhere else. I also see no advantage on this. I would say it would be a disadvantage, because if you loose your storage connection the COS is gone and this is not so good Smiley Wink .

Cheers,

Matthias

P.S. If this question is answered please consider to mark it as answered

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Pls use the VMware recommended steps for upgrading your infrastructure: Virtual Center, vSphere Client, Update Manager, ESX Hosts, Virtual Machines.

The COS always has been a virtual machine. Now its file system is located inside a VMDK file. Pls store this virtual machine in your local datastore of your ESX host. Do this for all of your hosts! In my opinion the VMDK file cannot be moved afterwards. During the installation you're able to place and that's it.

I also would recommend that u use Update Manager to update your hosts to 4.

Cheers,

Matthias

0 Kudos
VmwareProfile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Matthias,

Thanks, I understand. To resume you tell me to used the recommended option of Update Manager and store the COS on the local datastore of the local host. The COS is a VMDK file. Ok.

I supposed if I want to store the COS on a fiber LUN, I must create a host dedicated SAN Storage.

Thank you very much.

Tom

0 Kudos
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Tom!

If u use Update Manager to upgrade your hosts the VMDK of the COS is automatically stored locally.

I never tried to store the COS on a SAN LUN or anywhere else. I also see no advantage on this. I would say it would be a disadvantage, because if you loose your storage connection the COS is gone and this is not so good Smiley Wink .

Cheers,

Matthias

P.S. If this question is answered please consider to mark it as answered

0 Kudos