VMware Cloud Community
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade to vCenter 5.1.0b still version 947673?

Hello

i have upgrade my vCenter-server to the latest version of vcenter from the vmware-website using the VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso.

I have upgraded all single installations from the installation-dvd.

After upgrading i checked the version-info the vsphere client and from command prompt (see attachment).

Why is this still version 947673 instead of 947939?

Thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Optic_Nerve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've upgraded a couple of vCenter machines to 5.1.0b and they all show as 947673 as yours does.  I wouldn't worry about it.  If I recall correctly, they've done this before (the build of vCenter reported in the client not matching the build of the ISO).  I think the explanation is that they are simply two different things - the build stamped on the ISO is the build of a particular file or component whereas the version you see in the client is the build of something different and they don't necessarily match.

I do think this is bad from an end-user point of view as it causes confusion - just like you, my reaction is to look at it and assume something has gone wrong - but it's just how it is and nothing to worry about. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Optic_Nerve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've upgraded a couple of vCenter machines to 5.1.0b and they all show as 947673 as yours does.  I wouldn't worry about it.  If I recall correctly, they've done this before (the build of vCenter reported in the client not matching the build of the ISO).  I think the explanation is that they are simply two different things - the build stamped on the ISO is the build of a particular file or component whereas the version you see in the client is the build of something different and they don't necessarily match.

I do think this is bad from an end-user point of view as it causes confusion - just like you, my reaction is to look at it and assume something has gone wrong - but it's just how it is and nothing to worry about. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

David

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Optic,

thx for the extensive answer!

I hope the vmware-team will thread this as confusion for the end-user and will change this!

Thx

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I haven't checked the update myself yet but I assume from the release notes, which only mention fixes to SSO issues, that the actual vCenter component was not updated at all. Instead the update only applies to the SSO role and those binaries.

You could confirm this by checking vCenter file version information and/or comparing checksums of the vCenter binaries.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Mkguy,

i have upgraded all the components there were available on the .iso.

Every item returned a message that the component will be upgraded!

0 Kudos
Optic_Nerve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi MKguy,

vCenter 5.1.0a was build 880xxx and 5.1.0b shows up as build 947673 - there was definately a vCenter update. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

David

0 Kudos