VMware Cloud Community
bklynjae
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to 5.0 stuck at vmkibft loaded successfully

Hi all,

I just went from 4.1U1 to 5.0 using VUM. Now the screen is stuck at vmkibft loaded successfully. I tried rebooting a few times and to no avail it hasnt made it past there.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
walrus0721
Contributor
Contributor

I am upgrading some hosts from 4.1 to 5.0 now, and it does hang there for a few minutes, but eventually moves on.  Give it at least 10 minutes or so, especially if you have a lot of external (SAN/NAS) storage attached to the host, as this is probably what's holding up the process.

0 Kudos
EdZ314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen that problem before also. Do you have any RDM disks attached to the host? That's what turned out to be the problem in my case. During one of my upgrades it hung on that screen for 1 hour and 40 minutes. If you switch to the messages view on the console you may see some of the activity during the upgrade - in my case it showed that it was scanning RDM disks and couldn't read the filesystem and kept repeating that over and over.

Regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
walrus0721
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure about the OP, but we have no RDM, just a bunch of Fibre Channel LUNs.  I'm still looking for ways to trim the boot time down, it's around 15 minutes or so now, which isn't awful from what I've heard others share.  I've seen something online about modifying SCSI retries:

In the host configuration -> Advance Setting -> Scsi -> ScsiRetries.

Default value is 80, recommended value is 10.

Or via SSH: esxcfg-advcfg -s 10 /Scsi/ConflictRetries

After the change, rescan HBAs

http://deinoscloud.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/do-you-suffer-slow-boot-up-with-your-esx-host/

0 Kudos
jjardina
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem.  I have been stuck at vmkibft loaded successfully for over an hour.  I do have a lot of RDMs connected via fiber channel.  I looked and I found this article which, if I ever get back up, I will try.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101610...

0 Kudos