VMware Cloud Community
Foxxen2
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade of ESXi 5.5 to 6.x - VMWare says I can use my existing Quadro 6000 but need help on it

I've been using ESXi 5.5 for some years. The setup is a "small home lab" style network, with a 10 core CPU that at any time is running between 2 and 4 Windows 8.1 / 10 VMs.  The server includes a Quadro 6000, which I use to offload desktop GUI composition + management and reduce 'lag' (which is heavy for the work I do) and to provide up to 2 lightweight gaming VMs to keep young relatives occupied if they visit. I don't need GRID or anything high powered;  when I was buying, GRID was a disproportionate cost and sVGA was all I needed. A little GPU help, so to speak. Nothing heavy, and it works fine.

I'm aware that 5.5 will come to end of line in a while, and I'd like to move to 6.0 or 6.5 if I can.

The server is pretty much 100% Intel - Supermicro X10 series 2011-3 board with everything supported.  It was deliberately chosen for long term support status.  But I'm having difficulty getting sVGA working after I upgrade.

I have been testing the upgrade process by cloning the system drive and testing if upgrading my existing system works smoothly, and also by clean installing 6.0.  But I'm either getting the wrong driver version or the wrong process, because I'm not seeing the usual options for shared VGA or anything similar, when I start my VMs.

I wasn't expecting it to be difficult. VMWare's KB says that all 5.5 drivers are still supported on 6.0 (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2111492) and also on 6.5 (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147697), and the hardware isn't deprecated either (VMware Knowledge Base) (even if it was, that wouldn't prevent it working, it would just mean it lacks official support). So it's got to be something I'm doing wrong, or it's moved in the ESXi UI.

I'm aware that the Quadro series is now seen as older and the current recommendation is GRID. But GRID are still disproportionately expensive, and the Quadro and its drivers still seem to be compatible, so I'd like to keep my old card (which works) if it's at all possible.

Can someone guide me what I need to do, to successfully upgrade off the 5.x stream and onto 6.0 or (ideally if possible) 6.5? I'm happy to clean install if that is easier.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
0 Replies