VMware Cloud Community
MudassirK
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from Esxi 4.1 to Esxi 5.1

Hi,

My VMWare Esxi 4.1 along with vCenter 4.1 is on workgroup and now i want to upgrade it to the vSphere esxi 5.1 and i want to join it to the domain. First of all is it possible to join the vCenter Server to the domain? if yes can anyone tell me what is the process....what are the requirements and necessary steps

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You want to join the vCenter 4.1 to domain or going to deploy vsphere 5.1 and want to join in domain ?

0 Kudos
MudassirK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sundarajan,

Thanks for your reply,

Well i want to upgrade and also join the vcenter server to the domain

0 Kudos
MudassirK
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to join first before and then upgrade ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik the way to join an existing vCenter Server to a domain is to un-install vCenter Server, join the server to the domain and then to re-install vCenter Server with pointing to the existing database. I read an article about how to do this some time ago, but unfortunately I don't remember where. Maybe Google can help Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
MudassirK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre

Thanks for the reply,

Is there anyway i can do this without uninstalling and zero downtime ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Hi,

I found below links hope it might help you

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/269541?start=0&tstart=0

VMware KB: Repointing and reregistering VMware vCenter Server 5.1.x and components

Thanks

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not that I would know of. However, even without vCenter up and running, your hosts and VMs will continue to work. Just the vCenter Server related features (vMotion, DRS, ...) will not be available.

Another question, what's the size of your environment and which vCenter Server features (e.g. vDS, DRS, ...) do you currently use. In smaller environments I usually prefer to setup a new vCenter Server and then connect the hosts to this new vCenter Server rather than to upgrading the existing one.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos