VMware Cloud Community
krhoades
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from ESXi free edition to Essentials

I have purchased VmWare Essentials.  I have 3 hosts that I need to upgrade.  2 hosts have ESXi 4.0 and 1 host has ESXi 4.1.  I downloaded and installed the Vcenter Server on a Windows 2003 64bit Server and not sure what steps I need to take for my host machines.  I have the host machines booting from an internal USB drive and then all the VM's sit on a RAID5 with 2 datastores.  I want to make sure that I am not going to lose any of my VM's.  My question is Do I just install the new license key or do I have to download 4.1 and reinstall the USB key?  Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I am utilizing what I have purchased.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The addition of the license key is all that is necessary. You will not loose any data.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The addition of the license key is all that is necessary. You will not loose any data.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To modify the license you can use the VI Client and go to the configuration tab and select the license features - edit.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
krhoades
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I currently use a seperate instance of the Vsphere client to access each host.  Will I then see all three hosts there or is that where the Vcenter Server comes into play?  Not sure what the Vcenter server is for?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will connect the vSphere client to vCenter which will display all three hosts. You might want to go through some of the webcasts training. http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14673

0 Kudos
krhoades
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your responses.  I will change my license keys this weekend.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good luck. Update this thread with your progress if you have time.

Thanks

0 Kudos