VMware Cloud Community
novicesx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from ESXi 4 to ESX 4 update 1

Hi,

I have a typical situation here. We have been running 2 standalone ESXi 4 with VM's and Templates stored in their local datastores. We finally decided to upgrade from ESX 4 update 1 to have the ability to use the service console to use most of the CLI features.

The ESXi 4 has 2 datastores locally which contains templates on one datastore and VM's on the other. It is important for us to have the VM's running. We dont have a shared storage.

We got the licenses now and want to upgrade from ESXi 4 to ESX 4update 1. Is it possible? If so, how and if not, what could be the alternatives?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

there is no option available to upgrade from ESXi 4 to ESX 4.

regards

Manic

Regards Manic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

there is no option available to upgrade from ESXi 4 to ESX 4.

regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

install your new 2 ESX host.

After then install your vcenter, and then you can use the converter to move your vm's from you esxi to your new host.

As far you can also use e.g. winfastscp to copy all the files, but I think the converter would be the best way.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if you don't have the vCenter and shared Storage, then just backup the VM's and templates and do clean installation

regards

Manic

Regards Manic
novicesx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but I need to upgrade the same ESXi servers to ESX 4 update1. So I guess I will have to take a back up and do a clean install as mentioned by rManic.

Message was edited by: novicesx

0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

for futher information.Plz refer the following document

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_upgrade_guide.pdf

regards

Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos