VMware Cloud Community
IPVideoGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from ESXi 4.1 to 5.0 fails - ideas?

Hi there,

I have three ESXi 4.1 hosts that have been running for quite some time, no issues.    I decided this week to upgrade them to 5.0 since I finally was able to fit into my budget a VCenter 5.x license.

When upgrading, i get the following PSOD on all three machines using the 5.0 installable CD.  I can't find anything on the forums or google about this error.   Any ideas would be very helpful, I have been banging my head against the wall on this one and since it is happening on all three machines, it doesn't seem to be HW related.   The machines range from a Dell R710 with 16GB of RAM, Xeon 5620 processor and PERC storage controller, broadcom quad NIC to a basic Biostar i7 Processor with 16GB of RAM, Intel dual port gigabit NIC.

Message is Not_Implemented bora/vmkernel/multiboot/ramdisk.c:84

Thanks again for the help

IMG00039-20111227-1438.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

1. Is the frimware is update to date?

As this is a problem on all the 3 server, i would take look at the bios firmware update first.

2.Did you check is the hardware is listed in vmware hardware compatability site as supported for vmware vpshere 5.

3. What is the make and model of the server.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
IPVideoGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the reply . They are three different servers models all currently running esxi 4.1. I intend to upgrade the firmware tomorrow just in case. One is a Dell R710, the 2nd is an older dell R300. The 710 and R300 seem have compatible hardware.

Greg Skarvelis

303-551-4111

0 Kudos
ShannonZ
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I found there's a PR already in our internal bugzilla. Other customers hit the same problems with you. And Engineering is still working on this issue to get the actual fix so we have to wait till the actual fix is released, probably in 5.0 U1.

Although the problem is not hardware specific, this issue has been observed on the following hardware and firmware:

• Dell R 910 server with BIOS Version:2.2.3 BIOS Release Date:04/05/2011.
  • Dell PE 1900 with BIOS Version 2.7.0.
  • A Hewlett Packard machine of unconfirmed make, model, and BIOS revision.

For now, you may attempt to work around the issue by using Update Manager to upgrade to ESXi 5.0 on the same hardware.

Thanks,

Shannon/Qianyi

0 Kudos
IPVideoGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Shannon. Hopefully my license issues preventing the ESXi 4.1 servers from being added to my VCenter 5 will get resolved and I can use update manager. I will look for the update to the installable ISO in the near future.

0 Kudos