VMware Cloud Community
aliff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade ESXi and vCenter

Hi Guys, i am new to this forum, just would like to get feedback from you guys about my plan.

right now i have 2x EXSi host 5.1 update 3 (Sandy Bridge) with vCenter 5.5(Windows), and we are planning to add 1x new Host (Broadwell), and we plan to use the latest ESXi and vCentte 6.5, below is my thought.

1. Install ESXi 5.5 on new Host.

2. Shutdown all VM in existing cluster

3. Add new host to existing cluster.

4. Migrate vCenter VM to new Host.

5. Enable EVC mode on cluster.

6. vMotion some/all VM to new host.

7. Upgrade 5.1 host to 5.5.

8. Upgrade vCenter 5.5 to 6.5.

9. Upgrade ESXi host 5.5 to 6.5

10. Upgrade VMWare tools on VM

appreciate feedback from you guys,

Thank You.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

If you have enough resources on cluster , you can avoid upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5  for new host .

you may upgrade 5.1 to 5.5  then do VC upgrade , and install 6.5 on new host and upgrade other hosts

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

All looks Ok, but the EVC mode on cluster you need to check on. What are the processor model on the existing hosts and new one ! This one seems to be supported only in vCenter 6.5 so you won't able to enable it until you reach vCenter 6.5.

pastedImage_0.png

Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support (1003212) | VMware KB

RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

If you have enough resources on cluster , you can avoid upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5  for new host .

you may upgrade 5.1 to 5.5  then do VC upgrade , and install 6.5 on new host and upgrade other hosts

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
aliff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys, thank for fast response,

i will check on host resource Raj, just now i generate information with RV tools, thank you, and will check on EVC as well.

0 Kudos