VMware Cloud Community
ne0x86
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade ESXi HPE Custom image to last vmware version

Hi there,

Im running a  HPE proliant server running last HPE custom image from October. VMware was released new patch in november fixing sobre critical bugs, but HPE didnt release his custom image yet.

There is a way to upgrade with no-custom patch or I should wait to HPE release november update?

Thanks & regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what I read - and do for my customers - you can apply the latest patches to a given vendor customized image, as long as they are for the installed "Update" release. E.g in case you are running an OEM version 6.7 Update 2, you install patches for Update 2, but not for Update 3.

André

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @ne0x86 ,

Adding to what 'a_p_' has already mentioned. OEM vendors will mainly release OEM images for major updates and not for all patches. There is no harm installing critical patches directly over these OEM images.

0 Kudos
ne0x86
Contributor
Contributor

Im running 6.7.0 U3 from octubre (custom ISO).

You mean I can download november patch and upgrade it from cli? I will lost HPE custom image? If I lost it, probably would be better wait to HPE release new custom image.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ne0x86 ,

Yes, you can update it via cli by running 'esxcli software vib update'. This does not affect your HPE image. 

For more information, please refer --> Applying latest ESXi patches to OEM custom images 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos