VMware Cloud Community
Vby1
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade ESXi 6.0U2 -> Latest (6.5) - Q about Web Client.

Hi,

Currently have some ESXi6 U2 boxes (free license) which I have configured to let my partners use the vSphere client to get secure console access to only their VM's.  It works perfectly when configured securely, they can only see their VM's and can even re-install the OSes from anywhere in the world!

So my question is this - can I do the same with the web client on the latest version???

I heard there were teething problems with it, not sure about flash/HTML5 edition, but expert features aren't required, just console and to mirror the simple regime I'm using now.  I'm also concerned about security, there are a number of patches I still need to install manually on my host for 6.0U2.

I would set this up and test  but I don't have a spare box to do it with Smiley Sad.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

J

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

The below KB talks about shockwave flash issue..

with webclient you should be able to do all that you were able to do with vsphere client.

Shockwave Flash crashes with vSphere Web Client 6.x (2151945) | VMware KB

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
Vby1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that bit of info - that looks like a serious issue and the resolution is far fetched, possibly introducing security issues in order to downgrade flash.  Flash is no solution to my problem.

I'm on the understanding that the HTML5 client differs from the flash client, but is slightly more restricted in capability?  I could never see a HTML5 client being able to remotely mound an ISO on the client and stream via the console...

😕

0 Kudos
Vby1
Contributor
Contributor

Is one able to connect the classic vSphere client to an ESXi 6.5 server, to get me identical functions to what I have in place now?

From looking at the feature (and missing features) list of the web client it makes me wonder how people have managed.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

the classic c# client is out of the picture for sure.. I have not used the html client either..

but looking at the below KB it says one can use the VMRC.. with VMRC im quite sure the ISO mount option will be available on VMs.

vSphere Client (HTML5) and vSphere Web Client 6.5 FAQ (2147929) | VMware KB

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos