VMware Cloud Community
claireh
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade ESX3i build 283373 to v4

Hi There

I have upgrade my vic to vsphere 4 and was trying to use host VSphere Host update utility to update my esxi hosts one at a time but it failed. My hosts are IBM system x 3850 M2 - 16 CPU's 2.398Ghz, Intel Xeon CPU E7330 @2.40Ghz. I think they are compatible but do i have to do anything to make them 64 bit and if so how do i do that. I dont really know why its failed. I put it into maintenance mdoe and upgrade but it gets to about 40%. Any advice help appreciated.

Thanks

Claire

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The upgrade can take some time. How long did you leave it and did come back to say failed? It is possible that there are issues with the ESXi partitioning and it fails. Make sure you have scratch located on a hard disk. If ESXi is installed on USB then I would just backup the configuration to a datastore and install to a new USB disk and restore the configuration. Make sure any HBAs additional NICs etc are on the Hardware Compatibility List http://vmware.com/go/hcl

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos