VMware Cloud Community
Goldtipu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade ESX 4 to ESX 5 (Without losing existing local VMs)

Hello Team

I have one ESX 4 host i want to upgrade and i have 7 Vms running on that server locally . is ther any posibility i can upgrade ESX 4 to 5 without lossing VM's ?

or do i have to move ? I will move to our storage if there is no such option .

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

There wont be any impact on the VMFS Datastore where you have stored your VM's in the local Harddisk. you will be 3 option when you try to upgrade the ESX server to ESXI 5.0 they are

1. Migrate ESX, preserve VMFS

2. Install ESXi, preserver VMFS

3.Install ESXI, overwrite VMFS

refer the below screen shot.

ESX to ESXi 5.0 upgrade.JPG

But personally recommed you to migrate the VM out to other datastore it helps us in 2 ways.

1. Security of not taking any risk incase server crahes

2. Allow to use the feature of VMFS 5.0 by upgrading the VMFS datastore to new verison VMFS5

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With vSphere (ESXi) 5 you can perform an upgrade from either ESXi or ESXi.  Take a look at the upgrade guide - http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc_50/GUID-18B7B4BB-C....

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

There wont be any impact on the VMFS Datastore where you have stored your VM's in the local Harddisk. you will be 3 option when you try to upgrade the ESX server to ESXI 5.0 they are

1. Migrate ESX, preserve VMFS

2. Install ESXi, preserver VMFS

3.Install ESXI, overwrite VMFS

refer the below screen shot.

ESX to ESXi 5.0 upgrade.JPG

But personally recommed you to migrate the VM out to other datastore it helps us in 2 ways.

1. Security of not taking any risk incase server crahes

2. Allow to use the feature of VMFS 5.0 by upgrading the VMFS datastore to new verison VMFS5

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
Goldtipu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you

Today we followed the instructions and we are up and running witthout losing data Smiley Happy all vm's are available .

Many Kind Regards

0 Kudos