VMware Cloud Community
dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Updating a ESXi 5.1 host

Hi,

I have a VMware 5.1.0, 1157734 host. It has the image profile ESXi-5.1.0-799733.

Using the command esxicli software vib UPDATE without specifying the vib for the esxi-510-201404001, does the host became fully updated?

Or do I have do install each of the updates in order?

Thanks in advance...

Dmsousa

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can patch the host to the current build using only the latest patch. Please take a look at VMware KB: Installing patches on an ESXi 5.x host from the command line for the difference between install and update, especially if you are using additional drivers or a vendor/OEM installation.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can patch the host to the current build using only the latest patch. Please take a look at VMware KB: Installing patches on an ESXi 5.x host from the command line for the difference between install and update, especially if you are using additional drivers or a vendor/OEM installation.

André

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Vmware Update Manager makes this process much easier.  You can set all your updates / upgrades into a baseline group then have each host remmediate.  If you have any questions around update manager let me know,

0 Kudos
dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks... I've just updated with sucess...

But the image profile remained the same... Can it be updated too?

0 Kudos
dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

You're a small school with free esxi... The vmware UPDATE manager requires vcenter, correct?

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ahh yes,

You need vCener for update manager, sorry my bad.  I missed the fact that you where on Free ESXi.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Alternatively to the esxcli software vib ... command you can use esxcli software profile ...

For details see e.g. http://www.v-front.de/2013/05/quickest-way-to-update-your-standalone.html

André

0 Kudos