VMware Cloud Community
cheerze
Contributor
Contributor

Updating ESXi manualy doesn't change versionnumber

Whenever I update VMWare ESXi manualy (esxcli software profile update -d /{location}/{filename}.zip -p {profile}-standard --no-sig-check) the image profile version (screenshot yellow arrow) will update, but the general version (green arrow) won't. How can I get them both to sync? My OCD is acting up in the kind of situations 🙂

PS. Screenshow is from a system the has been updated and both versionnumbers are in sync.
cheerze_0-1656573701373.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If there was no error during update and your ESXi build number has been changed, why are you worried?

I think, there is no problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
Arvind_Kumar11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The version is getting changed indeed.

If you are managing the host with a host client, then this has its own limit of showing characters.

If you want to get the full version on the summary page, then login into vCenter with Web Client and you will get it.

However, if there is no error while updating the version then there is no need to worry.

0 Kudos
robc_yk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are two things that you highlighted in your screen capture.

on the left you note the ESXI version number, on the right you note the "Image Profile Build"

1: When logged into the GUI of the host (HTTPS) under summary you will only see the major build number of the host. It does not show the minor build number here. To find the full build number you can SSH into the host and run the command "vmware -v", the current output for example on one of my hosts is "VMware ESXi 7.0.3 build-19898904".

2: The information for the Image profile is based on what the system was built with. This will not change the numbers but can show  (Updated) before the full info depending on how the host was updated and with what patches. For example, one of my hosts currently shows: "(Updated) HPE-Custom-Syn-AddOn_703.0.0.10.8.6-3"

Note: In the vSphere console (vCenter) it will show the full host version number..

Determine if you are seeing different versions in the SSH console, then troubleshoot if you notice an issue.

If you found this helpful you can help others by clicking on the "Kudos" button and marking the answer as helpful.

Cheers.

0 Kudos