VMware Cloud Community
jaywoods
Contributor
Contributor

Updating ESXi Host from 6.5

I got a VMWare license many years ago, and I've had my host on this version for a long time (I've actually never went through an update). I'd like to take advantage of the new updates (especially the critical ones). I am very *very* new to this, so forgive my ignorance.

I am currently on VMWare ESXi 6.5.0 Update 3 (Build 15177306). I'd like to upgrade to the latest possible version allowed with my license. Where and how do I do that? I noticed that by clicking "Help", I can see "Update", however it's asking for a file, and I'm not sure where to get the file I need, and how high I can upgrade safely.

I keep reading about Update Manager, but I can't seem to download it anywhere. I have googled around and haven't found a clear path, and keep reading about vSphere and other products. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please allow me to ask you two questions:

1. which ESXi edition (Hypervisor, Standard, Enterprise Plus) is in use?
  2. does the ESXi version/build you are looking for support your host's hardware (see https://www.vmware.com/go/hcl)?

André

0 Kudos
jaywoods
Contributor
Contributor

1. I'm actually not sure - where would I go to find that information?
2. I have a Dell PowerEdge R720 - https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=vdga&productid=14966&vcl=tr...

Thank you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please lookup the installed license in the vphere Client.

André

0 Kudos
jaywoods
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a vSphere client. I just login to my local ESXi host where I have my VMs.

0 Kudos
jaywoods
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - I found it. It's VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please login to your VMware Customer Connect portal to find out about the SnS (Support and Subscription) status for this license, i.e. whether SnS is still active, or - in case it has explired - when (exact date) it expired.

André

0 Kudos
jaywoods
Contributor
Contributor

I logged in, however where do I find the SnS (Support and Subscription) section? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jaywoods
Contributor
Contributor

I do see this information on my host. It looks like it never expires.

jaywoods_0-1641978310108.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The license itself is perpetual, that's not an issue.
The SnS information is associated to the license, i.e. when you expand the license in the Customer Connect Portal, you'll see the support&subscription information.

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Your screenshot is most likely from the Hostclient/Webclient and doesnt show the associated Support&Subscription contract which is only visible in the new customer connect portal(formaly known as my.vmware.com).

Some notes

1. having a single ESXi with EnterprisePlus is very uncommon. Is there a vCenter (independent License and SnS Contract!) also?
  2. vCenter need to be updated first and must be same version as ESXi or max. 2 versions newer (vCenter 7.0 can manage Host 7.0, 6.7 and 6.5)
  3. No license key change as long you stay within vSphere 6.  For vSphere 7 a license key upgrade with the help of the customer connect portal is needed
  4. Dell custom iso for 6.5.x and 6.7u1 are available on dell.com/support without any kind of registration. All later ISO are now located on vmware.com and can be reached trough your customer connect account.
  5. Even R720 are only supportet for 6.5u3. They can run 6.7 and 7.0 but... its not supportet
  6. If you have only small dual SD cards (2-4GB) you will get a problem because minimum are now 8 and more. Warning about ESXi 7.0 on SD/USB... you need the right version and additional settings

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos