VMware Cloud Community
xenov
Contributor
Contributor

Updates of ESXi standalone and vSphere ESXi

Hello all,

I am currently struggeling with a bunch of ESXi servers which are part of a vSphere Center in the Essential licensing.

First of all the update plugin in the vCenter via the vSphere Client (Menu Plug-ins\manage plugins\Plugin-Manager) is not showing up. Can someone help me out of the dark, how to install or activate the update plugin?

The list of available plugins is also empty. And the plugins "vCenter Hardware status", "vCenter Service status", "RuleEngine" are all showing error like this:

vCenter Service Status VMware, Inc. 5.1 Disabled. Display the health status of the vCenter services

The following error occured while downloading script plugin from https://vCenter:8443/health-ui/scriptCongif.xml: The client couldl not send a complete request to the server. (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occured on a send.)

The next question now, how can I recheck the currently installed VIBs.

Does anybody here could post me a list of all installed VIBs of a ESXi which is properly updated? Is this the right shell command?

esxcli software vib list

best wishes.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is the correct command to get the list of installed vibs. Have you installed Update manager 5.1 on the vcenter server. if not you need to do and then plugin gets automatically downloaded on the vcenter. Also can you login to vCenter server and check if you can notice the plugin from there

xenov
Contributor
Contributor

AakashJ,

many thanks for your quick reply.

There can I find the update manager 5.1 to install it, and is there a documentation how to install it?

best regards

0 Kudos
xenov
Contributor
Contributor

hello all,

I found the installation files of the update manager on the setup-ISO of vCenter. Anyway it is very confusing, we are using the virtual appliance of vCenter, so we never needed the vCenter ISO.

Is there no direct download of the Update Manager on the vmware page?

Can anyone help me on the errors of vCenter? (my first post here)

bye

0 Kudos
DHusby
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly the vCenter appliance does not support the update manager. This is the main reason for the essentials pack but you have to have hefty requirements just to use it.

0 Kudos
xenov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DHusby 3,

I want to install the Update Manager to check if my manual setup of the updates (VIBs) was fine.

Right now I cannot say if I have installed it properly, and if there are all needed packages installed. So the VUM would help me to identify it. Maybe you can tell me how I should install the updates?

Can you tell me how to check if I have installed everything needed?

Can I install the VUM on a machine without vCenter installed?

Further on: Can anyone help me on the errors of vCenter? (my first post here)

bye

0 Kudos