VMware Cloud Community
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update to 5.5U1

Hi

I have a test host running patched 5.5. I have just tried to upgrade this to U01. I have used the esxcli method on the host via SSH. All the patches are skipped and the host not modified.

However I have 12 showing in my Update Manager. These are the ones contained in the U01 update.

Bit puzzled ???

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Here is the file. Perhaps as the original install was a HP image as its on a G8 server ? Although the updates in December were fine

Tony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which command did you use? Does the following command show any replaced vibs?

esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/patches/update-from-esxi5.5-5.5_update01.zip --dry-run

(Please replace the patch to the .zip file as required)

André

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Andre

I used esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore3/patches/update-from-esxi5.5-5.5_update01.zip (only difference is the Data Store)

I didn't try the dry-run option.

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Andre

I have now tried the --dry-run.

All vibs are skipped !

Tony

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's strange. Please ensure the patch package (the .zip file) isn't corrupted by verifying its checksum and/or try to upload it again to the datastore. You may also want to try rebooting the host to see whether this makes a change.

André

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Could you give us a copy of the esxupdate.log, located in /var/log/esxupdate.log? Use something like WinSCP to get it off of the host, or go to http://<hostip>/host. Please give it as attachement to a post, and not put it in the post, as this could get large.

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Here is the file. Perhaps as the original install was a HP image as its on a G8 server ? Although the updates in December were fine

Tony

0 Kudos
g3uiss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On reading the logs, looks as it updated first time but missed reboot instruction, following attempts failed as the update was done. Now on 1623387 which is the U1 relarase Im sure

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos