VMware Cloud Community
Dimicus
Contributor
Contributor

Update snapshot

Hello guys.

Im trying to figure out how to update an snapshot.

I take a snapshot that i revert to often, after a while there are so many updates that needs to be done everytime i need to revert to this snapshot

so i would like to update it so it has the latest update.

I can take a new snapshot when i have updated the current one then delete the old one, however i have other snapshot depending on that one. not sure how to explain it in a good manner.

So i cant delete it.

Basicly my setup on this specific vmware are like this

Host Vmware

snapshot1

snapshot1.2

snapshot1.3

snapshot2

snapshot2.1

snapshot2.2

snapshot3

snapshot3.1

snapshot3.2

I would like to update snapshot1 with the latest update without having to delete it because as i see if i delete it snapshot1.2 and snapshot1.3 will then loose its host, or atleast move

1 way up in the hierarchy.

Or cant i update it because the host for those snapshot will not be the same anymore?

Can i move the snapshots someway to lie down under a different snapshot as long its the same machine?

I hope i made myself clear, im not yet so good at vmware terms,

I use ESXi 5.1

PS: When i google on it i can see some threads for workstation that can update a snapshot but this option do not exist when using ESXi and vsphere client

BR

Dimicus

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Dimicus,

You cannot update a snapshot ... it captures the machines image .. you can either delete it or revert to it if needed

If you are making changes on the machine with the snapshot like patches or any update .... then I would suggest you to delete the one you took initially and create a new one

According to VMware you should only keep a snapshot for 2 to 3 days and never use it as a backup

You can convert snapshot files to vmdk files via vmkfstools ... however in your case i would say take a snapshot and delete the older one

As I mentioned it is state of the vm when you take it .. this will include every update in it

thanks

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can always only change the last snapshot in a snapshot chain. Changing any other chain link (snapshot .vmdk file) would corrupt its child snapshots. Please take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015180 to see how snapshots in VMware products work.

André