VMware Cloud Community
MarcoALR
Contributor
Contributor

Update patch by SSH in VMware 5.5.0

Hello everyone,

I'm totally new using all this stuff about virtualization and I have the next issue: we are using VMware 5.5.0 recently installed in which we have 04 VM. I'm trying to install the last update firmware using SSH but when I connected using putty with root user and password administrator show me this:

The time and date of this login have been sent to the system logs.

VMware offers supported, powerful system administration tools. Please
see www.vmware.com/go/sysadmintools for details.

The ESXi Shell can be disabled by an administrative user. See the
vSphere Security documentation for more information.

then I use this instruction: /vmfs/volumes # vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter and show me this:

-sh: /vmfs/volumes: Permission denied

I'm folling this steps:

https://aprendiendoavirtualizar.com/esxi-instalacion-manual-de-parches/

but the part of the SSH I can't understand it.

If you can bring me some help for dummies I aprecciate it.

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@MarcoALR 

Moderator: Moved to ESXi Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@MarcoALR 

If you are running anything like production workloads you should be considering an upgrade to at least 6.5 in order to be running a version which is still supported and updated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi Marco,

It's not the correct method of running CLIs. I guess you tried to copy and execute two separates commands, something like "cd /vmfs/volumes" ... I don't know why you try to this, but for the second part: "vim-cmd ..." you are trying to put the host in the maintenance mode to do any types of maintenance operations like upgrade/update.

Then you can do updating operation via "esxcli software vib ..." commands, BTW please see the following link to check the esxcli syntax before executing this command: KB2008939

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

If I look at the referenced site you are typing the command including the current path and that doesn't work. So the command is everything on the right side of the #-sign.

So the first command is:

vim_cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter

The second command on the site is:

esxcli software vib install -d "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/parch/ESXi550201505002.zip"

But I would also suggest you upgrade ESXi to a supported version (minimum 6.5).

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi.

Attached link with instructions on how to enable SSH and Shell

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004746?lang=es

Remember that to install patches you must turn off the VMs and put the ESXi host in maintenance mode, this can be done from the VMware client more easily than from CLI.
You can send me a private mail if you need free help to install the patch remotely.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos