VMware Cloud Community
vasileiosg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update manager on a single host

Hello,

I have a VCSA and a Windows Update manager on a single host. I can update the host with those updates that do not require restart, but for those that they do require, it is not possible as the host that goes into maintenance is the one that has the two VMs that perform the update. I tried doing the update manually by downloading the latest update package but it seems that one does not include every package that was needed.

Any ideas how to do it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

as far as i know, that is not possible. Because when you stage a host, the files are not stored in vib or zip Format. I try to find the file on a stages esxi host but i didn´t find them.

I found a blog from William lam

"If you do not have shared storage, then you would stage the patches to all other ESXi hosts but for the one that’s hosting vCenter Server, you will need to manually upgrade. You will need to download the patch and upload it to datastore since the stage files by VUM would not be in the same format that ESXCLI expects them to be (I believe they’re decompressed from the main .zip file). Once you have patched the host running vCenter Server/VUM, then you can use that to patch the rest of infrastructure."

So i guess you have to upload the files on your esxi host manually.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did i understand you right, that you have only one host in your vcenter? And that host you are trying to update?

If thats the case, you have to shutdown all your VM´s, if you not have the possibility to move the vm´s.

After that, download the Patches that you Need from vmware

http://www.vmware.com/patchmgr/download.portal

You Need a VMware Login for that. Put your host in maintanace mode. Upload the Patches to your host with putty ore wincsp or what ever you want to use.

Now, update your host with the command esxcli Software vib update -d "path to zip file"

Reboot host

If that is not the case, move the vm to another host in the Cluster and try updating your host.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
vasileiosg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, yes, i do have only one host. Is it possible to stage something using the update manager and then finish the installation from CLI?

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

as far as i know, that is not possible. Because when you stage a host, the files are not stored in vib or zip Format. I try to find the file on a stages esxi host but i didn´t find them.

I found a blog from William lam

"If you do not have shared storage, then you would stage the patches to all other ESXi hosts but for the one that’s hosting vCenter Server, you will need to manually upgrade. You will need to download the patch and upload it to datastore since the stage files by VUM would not be in the same format that ESXCLI expects them to be (I believe they’re decompressed from the main .zip file). Once you have patched the host running vCenter Server/VUM, then you can use that to patch the rest of infrastructure."

So i guess you have to upload the files on your esxi host manually.

Frank

0 Kudos