ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Update manager Appliance with Vcenter Appliance

Posted Jun 18, 2014 06:08 PM

hi Team ,

I am using V Center 5.5 U1 appliance to administer my VMware infra. I opt Vmware appliance to remove windows dependency.

Now i cam to know that Appliance don't have update manager functionality. Can any one tell me VMware thinking about appliance base Update manager.

Thanks

Ravi

• 2.  RE: Update manager Appliance with Vcenter Appliance

Posted Jun 18, 2014 06:10 PM

You can install the Update Manager on a windows host(e.g. file server) and point it to your vCenter, currently VUM is not on the appliance even on 5.5.

• 3.  RE: Update manager Appliance with Vcenter Appliance

Posted Jun 19, 2014 05:13 AM

Any tentitive Date For VUM on appliance. Customer dont want windows in Ennvironment for just to have VUM and dont have License for Windows also.

• 4.  RE: Update manager Appliance with Vcenter Appliance

Posted Dec 04, 2014 07:28 AM

I can understand the Customer concerns about $ but you can use any existing Widows machine for Update Manager. (no need to waste one more Windows License)

The Update Manager 5.5 server can be installed only on 64-bit Windows operating systems.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2002531

• 5.  RE: Update manager Appliance with Vcenter Appliance

Posted Dec 04, 2014 08:02 AM

Sateesh_vCloud wrote:

(no need to waste one more Windows License)

You mean 1 windows license per ESXi host where the VM can run, so like 1 windows license per ESXi host in your cluster :smileywink:

It's really a shame that the management services are such a mess right now. You need Windows for VUM, vSphere C# client to manage it, Web client to manage VDP, etc.

I guess we have to wait if VMware is even going to continue with VUM. When you look at the new EVO:Rail platform, the patching is a totally different approach.

So for now I would tell your customer to patch via command-line (I think a linux shop will like this :smileywink: ): http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2008939

And then let's all wait what the next vSphere version brings us.

Tim

• 6.  RE: Update manager Appliance with Vcenter Appliance

Posted Dec 04, 2014 08:40 AM

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for adding valuable points.

Appreicated