VMware Cloud Community
bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor

Update for 5.5 (Dell)

Howdy folks:

I'm running VMWare ESXi 5.5 build 1331820. It's a single node running on a Dell PowerEdge R720. Earlier this year, you folks helped me update to 5.5 from 5.1 using a Dell ISO.

I'm wondering how do I find out if there's available updates (rollups?) that I need to apply. I'm running the vcenter appliance 5.5, but I think the basic vmware package we bought for three nodes doesn't include any tools for helping automatically download and look for updates.

Would you kindly help me figure out if there's updates I need and where I can get them from? Is there some auto-update tool or command I can run to update my single ESXi 5.5 node?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the Essentials Package (I assume that's what you purchased) you are entitled to install and use Update Manager. However, with only a single host installing and maintaining Update Manager on a separate Windows Server might be overkill. Instead you could download DELL's customized ESXi image (e.g. VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 2) and use it for an interactive CD-ROM update. During the installation process you will be asked whether you want to upgrade or install, where - in this case - you'd select the upgrade option. Anyway, always make sure you have a backup in case something unexpected happens!

André

bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, My friend. that was very helpful.

I did the manual update last time using an ISO I build from the 5.5 build to upgrade from 5.1

I will download that link and do the upgrade similarly.

I agree with you. We only have one server and it really doesn't make sense really to dedicate a server to Update Manager. But I do wish that there was an easier way to simply be able to compare your installation with what was released to be informed about updates that are needed. That is what I think Update Manager probably does, but I've never used it.

My company only has one Power Edge Server. The boss won't buy another, even a smaller pizza box server for management purposes. While I am able to do the job with one server, I wish I had a more appropriate budget to put in what would be better for on going management.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about Update 2 and to providing that link. I'm fist-bumping you virtually!:smileygrin:

0 Kudos