VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update VMWare Tools failed with sysprep error ?

Hi,

We have just updated ESXi Hosts to vSphere 5.1.  when we attempt to upgrade VMWare Tools, we get the following error message for a number of VMs

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remediate entity XXXVM

There are errors when trying to access sysprep settings for VM XXXVM.

Retry the operation after disabling sysprep for the VM.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We can install VMware Tools manually.

We would like to know how to disable sysprep for those VMs and why VMWare Tools update involves sysprep ?

Your advice is sought.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
snarik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Tony,

I  see that you have updated your environment o the latest release ofvSphere but you are not clear with some other specifics.

Could you please provide the below details:

-What is the Guest OS  : XP, 2k3, Win7, 2k8 ?

-VM Hardware version : 7 /8 /9 ? (this should not matter) , regardless of this tools hsould get upgraded , except some devices will not be present from one H/W version to other version.

-What is the previous version of ESX (assuming you installed the tools from the same ESX version on the guest.)

You seem to update tools using VUM ?? Can you try to use the vSphere Client and then click on Automatic upgrade of tools option from the VM menu.

- Smiley Happy -

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

They are running Windows 2003 Standard Edition.

Orignially, they are running Hardware Version 8 with the latest VMWare Tools for ESXi 5 Update 1.

Besides, I get the error message when I attempt to remediate entity (via VUM) for VMWare Tools (Since VMWare Tools are updated successfully, I have no idea whether it is due to Hardware Version or VMware Tools version).

It is also weird that VMWare Tools can be updated manually.

Your advice is sought.

0 Kudos
rami1979
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever figure out what is going on with this error? Ever since we upgraded to 5.1 we started getting the same error everytime we try to update the tools on templates.  I've tried everything I can think of using VUM, using automatic update, converting to VM and trying the upgrade, the only thing that works is you have to convert the template and power it on and only then remediate using either VUM or going to guest > install tools works. We have this issue on all our windows templates 2k3 sp2, 2k8 r2 and win 7.

Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Usually, I turn on the VM and run VMware Tools update interactively.

There is also a VMWare KB with workaround

VMware KB: Upgrading the VMware Tools on powered off virtual machines using VMware vCenter Update Ma...

Thanks

0 Kudos