VMware Cloud Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

Update Manager not showing patch as available/required

I have 3 ESXi 5.5 hosts on 1 vCenter 5.5 server that I updated from build 1474528 to build 1746018 with Update Manager. When I did the initial scan it showed 16 patches needed, and upgraded the hosts fine. I have a second vCenter 5.5 server with another 3 ESXi 5.5 hosts. Using Update Manager on these hosts, they only show 12 patches needed, and when I remediated one host, it went from build 1474528 to 1623387, and stopped there. When I scan the host it doesn't show any more patches as available or needed, but obviously there are more. How can I determine why this vCenter and these hosts are not allowing me to go past what is essentially ESXi 5.5 Update 1. My vCenter version on both vCenters is build 1750787 (5.5 Update 1a).

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When did you update the first vCenter host and when did you update the second esxi host, 1746018 -- was released don April 19. What the build number of vCenter 1 and vCenter 2?

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First, check in the Patch Repository Tab in the Update Manager Admin View whether it lists these newer patches on your other vCenter as well. If it doesn't, trigger a manual download of patch metadata from the VMware repositories (Configuration->Patch Download Settings->Download now).

If or once the patches are listed in the patch repository, make sure they are included in the patch baseline you attached to your ESXi hosts.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

They are listed in the patch repository.  They are also in the patch baseline attached to the hosts. The details show:

Updates esx-base    VMware, Inc.    -- Not Applicable    ESXi550-201404401-SG    Critical    Security    Reboot, Maintenance Mode    4/19/2014 3:00:00 AM

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

As in my original question: "My vCenter version on both vCenters is build 1750787 (5.5 Update 1a)."

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hope the ESXi host also in the same build numbers and hardware. Initially, I thought probably the you scanned the host before April 19, but I was wrong. Could you also please share the host build number and hardware details. I am not sure why the patch shows as not applicable for this hardware. I will have a check today.

0 Kudos
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Please look to this article

PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT answer. Thanks!!
Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
Blogs: https://danieloprea.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

All hosts started at build 1474528. 3 hosts on 1 vCenter went from this build to build 1746018 with remediation. These hosts are Del R720s. 3 other hosts on another vCenter are Dell R710s. I have tried one host, and it started at build 1474528 and will only go to build 1623387 with remediation. Any further scans show no applicable patches.

0 Kudos
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

To apply patches to ESXi versions 5.5 you must properly configure the "Baseline". Please you now set these as follows:

1.JPG2.JPG

You must select only the patches for ESXi 5.5 versions

3.JPG

You will see only patches for version 5.5

4.JPG

You will see only patches for version 4.x, and 5.0, and 5.1. These patches are NO added, select Next:

5.JPG

6.JPG

You could also create you and add you DELL repository from which you you can download all the drivers that need your ESXi:

http://vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml

7.JPG

Hope that helps.

Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
0 Kudos
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have the same problem as you on a linked virtual center. All of the hosts in that virtual center show compliant and that they do not need the 4/19 patches, while my other virtual center updated with those patches without any issues. I am running the same version as you on my hosts, but both virtual centers are running 5.5.0b

0 Kudos
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You are sure that these patches are version 5.5?? Please send me all the patches that are in "mising"

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

I have put in a call with VMware support. I have not received a resolution yet. I had to replace a SSL certificate on this particular vCenter because it was using a 512 bit key and after Update 1 that was broken. They seem to be thinking that may be the problem, but not sure yet, they are analyzing logs. Along with my Update Manager not working correctly to apply patches, the Tomcat service seems to be broken (Hardware status and Service status plugins not loading, among other things).

We were able to update one ESXi host using the offline Update 1a patch bundle, so it is does appear to be the Update Manager that is the problem with the patches not applying. I'll post back when I have more information.

0 Kudos
nimos001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let us know what they find out, I'm confident our issue is with Update Manager itself and it wouldn't surprise me if they recommend re-installing it.

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

Well, you are correct. Uninstalling Update Manager was their answer (which we did once already), and it actually did work for my situation this time. They had me uninstall UM and install it on a different server with a completely new database. That worked. So I went back onto the vCenter server and deleted any remaining UM directories/files, the repository, and the DB, then re-installed completely from scratch. My hosts now show all of the available patches. I have patched one successfully and am in the process of doing the others.

0 Kudos